Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'm putting this in general discussion because it isn't really a bug.... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

mcs1234PRO InfinityMember since 2010
.... but more of a head-scratcher (just to see if what I'm suspecting can actually be possible).

Most of the time, whenever the subject of "latency" comes up, it seems to be an issue because the persons' processor is too slow to handle the samples coming into it, so those people are usually encouraged to increase their latency setting, thereby reducing "response time", but helping the processor do its thing without dropouts.
I'm wondering if the reverse is possible.
I have a "monster" lappy with ALL bloatware removed and it ONLY runs (and is optimized for) VDJ for gigs. I use a Denon MC6000mk2 for the controller, which of course uses the ASIO for DJ Driver. For some reason, the latency setting on the driver has been at 1024. Don't know why, it's just always been there. On a couple of nights, I've noticed a fraction-of-a-second skip (barely noticeable) and maybe once or twice in the night.
That said, is it possible to have a processor that is so fast that a higher latency setting causes the processor to "run out of things to do" and produce a momentary skip? Stuff I'm reading makes me think I should be more around 256...
Like I said, this would seemingly be the reverse of most peoples' latency issue, but I'm just wondering if it's actually possible.
Thanks much! :-)

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 9:28 am
The Denon Asio driver is rubbish. It hasn't ever worked properly IMO. Didn't matter what latency setting I used it randomly crackled and skipped. After having these issues with the HC4500 and then the MC6000 Mk1 I changed to WDM as it was far better and never crackled.

Since moving to the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 the Asio driver has been flawless. Point proven!

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 10:02 am
Thanks for the reply. Heard about WDM too (and good things).
But WDM doesn't show up in the list of drivers to choose from.
How do you access it?

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 10:07 am
mcs1234, have you run a latency checker on your system to make sure that there are no drivers etc. that could be causing problems?

It's not just down to the Denon driver. Other things on your system can cause blips.

It should be easily possible to get latency down to 10ms or less using an ASIO setup.

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 10:07 am
Thesyscon latency checker all green in full spin mode, with video.

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 10:18 am
In my experience it's not latency, just a poorly written driver. It has never worked for me on any machine.

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 11:44 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Yes... some user reporting good results with the asio4all driver instead of denon asio

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 5:49 pm
Juat got this and not sure how to use it

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 6:08 pm
Can anyone help me ?

Posted Fri 26 Dec 14 @ 6:08 pm
LenaLouisHoward wrote :
Can anyone help me ?

Welcome to the VirtualDJ forum. Please take the time to read the forum rules which can be found here. What you have done is called hijacking a thread, meaning your issue has nothing to do with the issue of this thread. You are free to start your own thread, and be more specific about the help you need.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 12:45 am
Thanks AM&HM and others.
Oddly enough, I can't get the ASIO4All to work with my mk2. I get a "not enough channels" error.
I did, however, upgrade the 1.0.1 driver to the 2.2.1 one listed in wiki.
Going to do a long test of everything today...

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 3:33 am
I can't speak to the MC6000 MK11, but what I can tell you is, a lot of us have used the original MC6000. I don't know anyone that has used ASIO drivers on it successfully, for any long period of time. Save yourself a lot of time, and use the Windows drivers.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 5:53 pm
I must be one of the lucky ones. I started with the mk1, used the ASIO driver it came with, and never had an issue (once I turned off that stupid battery monitor thing).
Been on the mk2 with its ASIO driver (1.0.1) for a year and a half, again, without issue. Only since applying some updating to the OS has this slight annoyance developed.
And... not to appear ignorant, but in my Sound setup, I don't see anywhere to choose a "Windows" driver. Do lappy's not automatically have WDM on board?
Don't mind trying the Windows driver at all, just don't know where the he** it is. lol.
:-)

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 6:24 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Are you using VDJ 8 ? Then the WDM driver is called WASAPI.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 8:45 am
Still on V7 for now...

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 9:11 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Ok, so Windows should've installed the driver after the device was plugged in for the first time.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 11:28 am
Ah, yep. Found it under Advanced Config. Gonna try it.... thanks.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 12:04 pm
So Pachn, I switched to the Advance Config, and set Master to 1&2 of "MC6000mk2" and Headphones to 3&4 of "MC6000mk2".
Everything seems to function properly. The ASIO 2.2.1 driver is still installed, but I assume it's not being accessed at all, right?
I know sometimes people find issues with multiple drivers on-board. But I'm guessing that if I'm telling VDJ to use WDM, then the ASIO should be just doing nothing....

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 12:49 pm
Correct, if you don't select it in config it won't do anything ...... but if you are happy with WDM (WASAPI) then you can uninstall it.

I ran the MC6000 for a couple of years without it installed.

Keith

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 1:11 pm
Cool, thanks. Been running all day - no issues. My next gig is a big one, NYE. Going to run the WDM, but the keep the ASIO on board just in case.
Happy New Year guys...
PS: Also assuming that the "Auto" in Latency is acceptable. Never fiddled with this before because it seemed everything latency-related was determined on the ASIO level control panel.
Cheers!

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 3:14 pm
91%