Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Downloaded VDJ 8 Beta, Kept Using Version 7.4, Now want to migrate to 8 with databases intact

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi, sorry if I missed where this is located, but when I first downloaded version 8 beta as a pro user, I remember that the version 7 databases should migrate etc., but if you used 8 and went back to 7 or vice versa the databases woudn't stay updated.

I wanted to wait for the stable version and migrate to 8. In the meantime, I started a long process of reorganizing my files in 7 and dj'd weekly with v 7.4. I'm almost done reorganzing my music files from within 7, so I wanted to get a clean slate with version 8 and have it convert my databases now with latest info of where files are, play history, playlists etc.

Should I delete 8 and reinstall or is there some other method to accomplish what I want to accomplish? I also wanted to make sure I wasn't messing anything up license wise and everything, there are a lot more versions of VDJ now than I'm used to, I'm just used to paying for the whole thing and getting the whole thing, I don't want to do anything detrimental if there are any license changes etc.

Thanks for any help.

I'm interested to see if 8 will be better for scratching on other controllers like the SX, I haven't had much luck with it as it is despite changing my settings, and I'd like to have the better DVS and try that out.

Karz

Posted Mon 10 Nov 14 @ 3:48 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just delete, database.xml (VDJ root folder) then when you open V8 it will make a new copy based entirely on 'VirtualDJ Database v6.xml'

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 12:28 am
That doesn't seem to be working for me. I deleted the database off the C drive, and did not touch the v6, while VDJ 8 did recreate the database, and it seems my playlists are there etc., the history is non existent and if I go to any folder and look at 'last played' it shows history from 5/2014 and before, which is when I first loaded VDJ8, so it's not capturing any history for last several months. Am I supposed to do something on the external drive too? Thanks.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 1:41 am
I had also analyzed thousands of tracks of new music for BPM, length, tags etc., and none of that new music is showing up as analyzed in VDJ 8. I'm feeling like I have to reinstall 8, but please anyone w/ a how to on this, let me know... Thanks

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 2:03 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Moving from V7 to 8 everything has to be re-analysed. It's unavoidable.
Cues and tags should carry over.
Perhaps try again, delete database.xml on C:\ and look on the root of other drives (ones with music on them) for a folder called VirtualDJ, (eg. M:\VirtualDJ) inside you will find the drive's local database (again database.xml) delete that too.
When you start V8 make sure any external drives are connected before starting V8.

That way tags & cues should carry over.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 3:40 am
I really hope that is not true. With such a big deal being made about Virtual DJ 8, it would seem to me that there should be a sticky thread to address any and all migration issues. It's hard to search for this topic because you don't know if someone used the word upgrade, migrate, transition or whatever, and if they said VDJ7 VDJ8 or V7 V8 or just 7 or 8, the terms are too generic to search for relevant information on. Any mods out there care to chime in? I really like the idea of a sticky thread on this subject, sorry if I missed it.

karz

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 10:32 pm
it seems to me I may have to reinstall version 8, if anyone has any tips on the removal and resintallation, let me know... Reading the manual it says:
Upgrading from version 7
All existing database information will be maintained.
VirtualDJ

Quick Setup Guide
First time opening VirtualDJ 8
after
upgrading ...
VirtualDJ 8
will read the database files created with older versions and it will automatically create its
own separate ones, leaving the existing databases untouched. If an External Hard Drive is not
connected at the time of first launch, VirtualDJ 8 will then read an
d create a new database for this
Drive, the next time this is connected.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Since I don't have much of any database info in 8, I'm betting that when I first tried the beta, which is all I intended on doing at the time, way back in April, it seems I may not have had the external drive connected, or according to this ALL DATABASE INFO should have carried over, both on the internal and external drive.

I don't see any way around resintalling at this point, but am open for suggestions

karz

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 10:44 pm
Yeah, so this isn't working right. I removed 8 from my computer entirely and ALMOST made a big mistake. The MANUAL says that all databases will be imported basically but that the new version will run separate from the old 7, you can run either without hurting the other, but when I went to remove 8, it asked me if I wanted to delete playlists and database info etc., since they're supposed to be separate, and you're only removing 8, you would think YES remove those because when I reinstall it, I want it to start over. Well, good thing I backed up the VIRTUAL DJ folder and it's database etc. because it wiped everything in the VIRTUAL DJ folder.

So once removed, I put the v6 database back in, and everything else in the VDJ folder EXCEPT the 8 database and the HISTORY folder since in 8 that should take info from the tracklisting folder I would assume. I download version 8 all over again and install, but somehow it seems to have reinstated the same default, my playlist comes in but not the database, I can tell because it has the same 'last played' of 8 before with a few tracks from yesterday and a few tracks from April, meanwhile my version 7 database has tons and tons of plays every week for last several months. And there are a number of other signs as well.

How can I properly install version 8 at this point to import ALL database files as the manual suggests?

Thanks
Karz

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 11:59 pm
So any help here? I even submitted a ticket, but I don't think I got any response. I can't believe I'm the only person that got the beta and now wants to actually use version 8, but wants to properly import all my database info from v7... As I've said in some of the above posts, v8 never properly imported them to begin with, maybe I didn't have the external hooked up then, I'm not sure but whatever happened, I want to install 8 and import whatever v7 info I can, and trying it on my own has not worked... Please help. Thanks.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 6:24 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Deleting database.xml on each of the drives is enough to have your database re-imported.

The database does not include your history. For v8 the history is stored in Documents\VirtualDJ\History
Removing this folder will also re-import your history from v7 when launching 8.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 1:13 am
This thread is an example of the frustration potential users experience just "trying out" vDJ8. I have been a user since vDJ2 and still using vDJ. But it irritates me that Atomix can let this type of frustration propagate. I also have a DJ buddy who was using vDJ7 for a long time but recently got the opportunity to try SeratoDj and vDJ8 at the same time. For him, he was going to decide whether to stay with vDJ or forge into the world of SeratoDJ.

He had the same kind of problems described here in trying to get his database values migrated to vDJ8. Know which software my buddy is using now? Yea, SeratoDJ, because it was easy to get going and he figured out how to do everything in SeratoDJ that vDJ allowed him to do.

Come on guys, this is BS! If the automatic migration doesn't work well, then provide a robust utility that can be used separately. One that shows things like total songs found, # processed etc. Something that is definitive. Does this exist?

I for one have had this same problem, except I was trying to migrate a Windows VDj7 database to MAC VDj8 database. Horrible experience and still doesn't work! Who wants to have to re-tag a library with cue points etc.??? It doesn't matter if *some* people got it migrated somehow, I am willing to bet there are a whole host of people who have not and got just as frustrated.

Done ranting!

Posted Tue 13 Jan 15 @ 11:10 am
I have the same problem my backup does not show my folders when I hock it to computer. Wish they show video on how to do this.

Posted Tue 13 Jan 15 @ 6:05 pm
famol99PRO InfinityMember since 2004
let me add myself to those who these feature is not 100% i have no history..and some cue points are there and some are not so not sure what to do.. i need the history or atleast a way to transfer it to 8 in addition to linking audio to video but thats another topic

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 12:48 pm
Are you using an external drive by any chance? Was it connected when you first ran VDJ 8 (so that 8 could import the data on the external drive)?

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 1:10 pm
I cant get my playlist to show on my backup ext hard drive. Nothing i tried seems to work.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 4:56 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Playlists are saved under documents/virtualdj/playlists on C. Not on your external.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 4:33 am
how do you get it to show up when you plug in your backup ext drive
thanks

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 9:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)