Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Is there a skin that allows you to have second screen for samples?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok. A long time ago in a forum far far away, there was talk of the ability to open and drag the sampler to a second screen.. I was so excited a bought a 40 button midi controller to make magic happen.. Now I'm waiting to get a skin to match. My second controller is a apc 80 and my first is a dj t1. Any help would be awesome.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 2:51 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
There are 2 ways actually to get info on the second screen (no matter if that is just the Sampler view or anything else).

1. The old way (ver 7 way), where you actually create a skin with the total width of both of yoru screens. E.g. your primary screen is 1366x768 and your 2nd screen (in extended mode) is 1920x1080. You skin needs to have width="1366+1920" height="1080" (you just need to be careful and not put any elements in the area (1366,768)- (1920,1080).
In this case you simply create one image file and one xml file.

2. Use a <window>. In this case the skin should have the width and the height of your primary screen (even though this is not necessary as version 8 will auto-resize that to fit to your screen resolution) and you need..
One xml file which includes the code for the <window>
2 image files, one for the primary skin and the 2nd one to include the graphics of the <window> element,
In this case you can decide when to show/hide the <window>, using the action ... show_window 'windowname'
and you can resize and move the window to whichever part of your primary or secondary screen you want.

I ll try to be more specific and provide some specific example/code but for now, you can check the Skin Builder skin and get an idea on how the code works.

The code to display the Sampler view (only) is ...

<sampler><pos x="" y="" width="" height="" /></sampler>

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 10:55 am
It would be nice if the 8 skin SDK had some info on windows.

At the moment it mentions "window_images.png (optional files for <window> elements)" but nothing else.

If Dan doesn't have time to finish the SDK then please reassign the task to another staff member. :-)

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 11:10 am
Who do I make the cheque out to?

Posted Mon 17 Nov 14 @ 1:10 pm
I already emailed you!

Just give me some idea of what you're looking for, and I can help. See here for examples and a current bug with opening pop-up windows.

Posted Mon 17 Nov 14 @ 1:25 pm
So how do I do this?? Nothing here is clear at all.

Groovin your sending me on a wild goose chase.

Is there no DETAILED instructions anywhere??

Posted Sun 08 Feb 15 @ 1:03 pm
See djdad post above (part 2). There may be a few more mentions on the forum somewhere, but there isn't anything else other than the brief mention in the skin SDK.

I can only suggest you take a look at the XML for djdad's "skin builder" skin (as he suggested above) which uses the <window> code a lot.

Posted Sun 08 Feb 15 @ 1:14 pm
I'll pass on that, I'm no programmer and don't really have time to learn all this.

To bad no one is adding this into any of there skins......... 😔

Posted Sun 08 Feb 15 @ 4:35 pm
I just wish things like this weren't so hard to implement, lol 😜

With 7 I barely scratched by with my limited script knowledge but with 8 I've just given up 😳

Hopefully you guys can come through and come up with an easy fix for this so others can add these things to they're skins........

Posted Mon 09 Feb 15 @ 7:10 am
Ok so Groovin was kind enough to hook me up with a Sampler pop out and a video pop out as well. Pretty darn cool!!

Why is this not part of the stock skin?? Why would the team wanna keep this hidden?? This is another one of these features that NEEDS to be showed off!!

Posted Tue 10 Feb 15 @ 6:55 am
No problem Huey :-)

I agree it's kinda holding things back by not having much info available on it, or having it feature in the default skins.

It's also preventing skinners from finishing projects that use it, because certain aspects of it don't work properly.

Bear in mind that these floaty windows can be skinned just like the main GUI, so for example you could have a Pioneer DDJ-SP1 style popup window.

Posted Tue 10 Feb 15 @ 7:26 am
Hmm that could be cool 👌

Posted Tue 10 Feb 15 @ 8:40 am
wow, I so need to hear if this has been updated? Has the idea of a popup or second screen worked out.. I have 60 samples on my controler that is hard as hell to watch.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 16 @ 6:24 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Mon 25 Apr 16 @ 6:23 pm
That links to this thread!

Posted Mon 25 Apr 16 @ 6:49 pm
JMF skin does that

Posted Tue 26 Apr 16 @ 3:52 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Tue 26 Apr 16 @ 4:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)