Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: begginning dj needs to know fastest way to learn the program and its features

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have no prior experience with music and want to help out a friend who has sang in the past with a band and is trying to go solo but needs a sound tech to play the background music while she sings. we want to go pro in the future but i need to learn the programs and equipment. Anyway she has music on itunes including some karaoke tracks, but needs more updated music and i am suppse to help put songs in her key and put together playlist and dj songs durring breaks etc. Since we are just trying to practice and get good enough for us to go proim not sure what my best options are for subscriptions and controllers and such. i currently have the free home edition with no subscriptions or any extras. i have a dell lap top, a peavey 10usb mixer, microphone and speakers to practice with.any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Like i said before i have noexperience and dont knowwhat different things mean so any advice is definatelywelcomed

Posted Mon 27 Oct 14 @ 11:55 pm
first thing I would suggest is update to a VDJ pro licence - this gives you full access to the program - I know it costs money but reading your post it sounds like it would be a good investment!

Then I would suggest you look at all the videos and video tips on VDJ on the net as they are a really good source of information and practice practice practice !!

If you get stuck on a specific issue post on here as someone will always have an answer

Good luck

Posted Tue 28 Oct 14 @ 9:39 am
How much working capital do you have, whats your budget?
Whats your business plan for when you do have the gear needed? Are you networked with local bars & establishments?

You can price gear at http://www.guitarcenter.com/ ....... its not cheap, theres nothing cheap about mobile work. It can take years just to build a balanced mp3, mp4 & karaoke library.
Some things you will want to price:

newer high spec PC with VDJ Pro
two 3TB external hard drives for your music & join a music/video pool immediately
midi controller with built-in sound card thats plug & play with VDJ
a folding table or stand for the controller
powered 15" speakers
powered 18" subs
quality XLR speaker cables
HDMI splitter, 1-2 or 1-3 ( so you can run multiple tv's )
flat screens, (which have come way down over the years)
stands for the flat screens
several power strips, black extension cords, headphones, wireless mic, business cards, the list goes on......

Posted Tue 28 Oct 14 @ 3:39 pm

Posted Tue 28 Oct 14 @ 4:49 pm
What state do you live in?

Posted Tue 28 Oct 14 @ 8:01 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
My point of view :

Don't go buying a bunch of stuff(speakers,Flat Screens, new pc, music subscription, yada yada..) if you don't know how to DJ.

Practice with the music your have first on our pc. You can optionally invest in a cheap controller and practice - and then decide if you want Dj.

Post your mixes on youtube or dj sites to be critiqued before you go public with your friend.

"a sound tech to play the background music while she sings" - that sounds like you are going to be playing a instrumental track while she sings - that can be accomplished with itunes - honestly.

Also most venues already have their staff dj - that will play music during intermission etc - so I not sure how you Djing during breaks is supposed to work - unless that how they operate in your neck of the woods.

Going pro is a whole another ballgame - especially if you have to provide the sound for a venue - you really have to know what your are doing - sound levels, speaker placement etc. Plus going pro usually requires "getting a band" - to go with the singer - so your plan of djing in the background may be out the door - at the go pro stage.

Just food for thought.

Posted Tue 28 Oct 14 @ 11:34 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
charli926 wrote :
she has music on itunes including some karaoke tracks, but needs more updated music and i am suppse to help put songs in her key and put together playlist and dj songs durring breaks etc. Since we are just trying to practice and get good enough for us to go proim not sure what my best options are for subscriptions and controllers and such.

Take a look at the content unlimited music and karaoke subscriptions, this will let you get more current tracks. You can change keys with the software. You can use your current hardware to start with. I would then go to the full version to open up the feature of the software. This will also allow you to try different controllers to see what you like best. A starter controller that I have and still use for small things is the Numark Mixtrack Pro. It has been reliable and has a decent built in sound card.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 8:29 pm
you have no experience in music, then your first step will not be buying anything, learn music first. Learn how to count beats, bars and measures, downbeats, learn song structure. Listen and pay attention to music, to the point you can count with the song and know when a chorus, a verse, a bridge will start and end. Go to clubs or even church and take notes what the sound man is doing and why he is doing it. you can buy all the gear you want but without the proper basic foundation, you will be a garbage dj. your mixes will train wreck..and you will be replaced. Go to VDJ radio and listen to all the channels you will hear a plethora of garbage djs with state of the art equipment, but you will also find great djs with minimal equipment. start with understanding music first, the skill to mix it will come. Also dont get trapped in the industry standard BS. Have you wasting money that could be used much more wisely.

Posted Sat 01 Nov 14 @ 8:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)