Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video output to 4:3 ratio TV screen

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I'm having difficulty getting VDJ8 to output to my 19" 4:3 ratio TV (i.e. not widecreen) for karaoke use - when I click the internal screen to activate video output the small video screen on the my MacBook Pro just flashes up then disappears.

I am using a MacBook Pro connected via a display device / VGA adapter and VGA cable. There is no problem with the cables etc. as I can "mirror" the image of my Mac to the TV screen if I want, but cannot get the karaoke words on there.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 4:07 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Not sure, but try the setting "letterBoxing"

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 8:32 am
letterboxing and under video options '' force video to output to screen'' change the setting from 0 to 1 or 2, ensure the dual screen is selected on your laptop, video output to your karaoke screen must not be above 800 x 600

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 9:50 am
Mine runs at 1024X768 on the output and it shows on both our 4:3 screens aswell as our wide screen. When I had an issue with 1 of our wide screen TVs not accepting my output that is when I changed it. If you are running just 4:3 screens then I think 800x600 will work.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 8:24 pm
I finally got to the bottom of this after a few hours last night and it was absolutely nothing to do with VDJ! Problem was that I had linked up my Mac to another TV at home and it appears to have saved the Refresh Rate as being 85Hz, which my karaoke screen cannot handle.

Eventually, I changed this to 60Hz and it was fine, with no change to the default VDJ settings. For anyone else's information, changing the option ForceFullScreen to 1 makes the video full screen on the laptop and 2 makes it full screen on the external monitor - leaving it as 0 seems to make it work automatically and output the video to an exteral monitor if one is connected.

Hope my dilemma and testing helps other users!

Posted Thu 11 Sep 14 @ 3:14 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Vdj8 has been getting a lot of blame for bugs which has other causes.

Posted Wed 17 Sep 14 @ 3:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)