Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Buying a Mac Book Pro for Virtual DJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

nikb1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hi all !

I just need some advice if any of the mac boys around arround over the next few days.

My trusty laptop has decided to spit its dummy out so its time to be replaced. Have been thinking of a mac book pro for a while.

So, i'm taking the plunge. any advice on spec for ultimate compatibility with Virtual DJ please ?

do i need to be careful over graphics cards like the windows pc fiasco with ATI ?
are there any complications running extended desktop for video out to a screen ?

it is going to be secondhand as i want a 17" and i gather they dont make them anymore

any tips will be greatly received as i'm a little nervous about parting with more cash for a second hand mac than i would pay for a brand new mutts nutts windows lappy

thanks !

Posted Tue 02 Sep 14 @ 6:35 am
Ahhhhh the million dollar question, Here's what I can tell you from my experience. For the last 4 years i have been using a 13" macbook pro with nvidea graphics Its core 2 dup 2.66 and 8 gig of ram.

I run it in both mac & windows (bootcamped)

In Vdj 7 the mac side was not good, with Ver 8 Runs very well

On the windows side VDj 7 always ran smooth low cpu did video perfectly V8 seems to be about the same..

So as far as what you should look for today

Intel i5 or i7
4 gig ram (more is always good)
Built in video card with min 512 ram (min 1 gig would be better)

Should you buy a mac??? Well I can tell you my experience with mac has been positive but I run Vdj in the windows environment more than I do in osx...

BTW... I have a friend who has a 17 MBP..... its huge and in small dj booths it has been an issue

Posted Tue 02 Sep 14 @ 10:20 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I have three MBP's (All 13" machines), and they run VDJ 7 and 8 like a champ. (Early on V8 would spur the processor and the laptop would get really hot, however for the last 6 weeks or so, the builds have been really decent.)_

The latest laptop is one of the 2014 models w/retina, which is non-upgradable. (8GB RAM / 256GB SSD). The laptop is awesome. (Some may complain about the low disk size, however I don't keep any music on the laptop at all, so outside of the OS and VDJ, Serato, and Traktor (yes I own and use all three), disk space is non-essential. (I still have over 200GB free with the installed software.)

Posted Tue 02 Sep 14 @ 10:23 am
Im using the 2014 entry Macbook Pro 15" Retina with VDJ8. I play music videos and also do karaoke nights. The Mac has not missed a beat. I store my music/karaoke/music videos on a 7200 Lightning port external hard-drive. There is no lag when accessing any of these.
Take the plunge you will not regret it!

Posted Thu 11 Sep 14 @ 1:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)