Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Equipment Setup Help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So I just purchased some DJ equipment and wanted to ask some questions that most of you could probably answer way better than I could.

To start off, here is some of my setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Without viewing links:

Two Seismic Audio 15" PA DJ Speakers 700 watts each
Pyle-Pro PQA3100 19-Inch Rack Mount 3100-Watt Professional Power Amplifier
Hercules DJ Console RMX

My questions..

1. My speakers are 700 watts each, and the amp is 3100 watts. What is the best way to set this up to prolong the life of my equipment and to not overheat or blow anything out?

2. What settings should I use when playing music at a party for approximately 4-5 hours?

3. Things to avoid? Did I **** up with my purchases?

4. To connect my two speakers to my amp I can use two speakon to speakon cables correct?

Thanks guys.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 1:46 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Your speakers are 700W Peak which is actually 350W RMS (this is the pro way of rating equipment) RMS = 0.5 * Peak and they are 8 ohm speakers
Your amp is
380 + 380 Watts@ 8 Ohms
760 + 760 Watts @ 4 Ohms
1520 + 1520 Watts @ 2 Ohms
So your purchase is a reasonable match, a bit heavy on amp power, I'd say run V8 at 0dB (unity) using the amp at just under 50% would about right, in truth you could run another pair of these speakers and run the amp at near 90%. But be warned there's enough power in the amp to burn these speakers out
And with your current set up Yes a speedcon per channel which goes to a speaker, if you add another 2 speakers these would separately daisychain (parallel) off the existing speakers, which would make Rt 4ohm per channel.
I've been taught as a rule of thumb ideally you want Speaker power RMS to equal 2 * amp power, this may be a little conservative but stuff won't start melting.

And one more note, we tend to avoid profanity here, I don't care but the mods are instructed to censor.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 3:42 pm
locodog wrote :
ideally you want Speaker power RMS to equal 2 * amp power

It's usually preferred to be the other way around actually. Use an amp that has more RMS power than the speakers.

Speakers are more likely to blow from a dirty/distorted signal (from an amp that's underpowered and struggling) than from a nice clean signal from an amp that's just cruising.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having more powerful speakers, but it's kind of wasteful if you can't drive them properly.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 4:40 pm
Groovin is correct on this, Amp should always be rated higher than the speakers so that the distortion at higher levels doesnt damage the speakers, in this case I would say your ok as long as you don't run everything at full volumes and start the amp clipping

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 4:46 pm

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 4:54 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
My mistake I was taught by a very old hand with some very old equipment. I had a feeling something wasn't right what with amp power ratings actually only being relevant for 1KHz

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 7:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)