Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Using VDJ7 and VDJ8 on same computer. Any issues?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cnymikePRO InfinityMember since 2011
I'm just wondering if there could be any problems with the music database if I use both VDJ7 andVDJ8 on the same laptop.

Or does each version maintain it's own database of the music it indexes?

I just want to ensure I don't screw up my external HD in any way if I use it for both VDJ7 and VDJ8. I've got my history and playlists in the cloud too and wonder if that could somehow get screwed up if I swtich between the two versions of the program?

Posted Thu 14 Aug 14 @ 9:35 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
There are no problems either Mac or PC with running both 7.x and 8.x on the same machine. However, there is one thing to keep in mind...

When opening V8 for the first time, it will take a copy of the V7 database and make it it's own, however this only happens the first time. So this means that if you make any changes to the V7 db or the V8 db, the databases will no longer be in-sync.

What I do (and I suggest you do), is ensure that the V7 db is always solid and accurate. Then when you want to bring that into V8, then simply delete the database.xml file from within the documents\virtualdj folder and launch V8. (V8 will be rebuild again.)

However, that works UNTIL you want to start using some of the V8 db features like color coding, etc. Once you start doing that, you will need to maintain 2 different db's.

Posted Fri 15 Aug 14 @ 9:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)