Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: I want to get rid of the Camelot Key System

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I don't want the Camelot Key System to show up every time I load the program. I just want the regular key system. How can I get rid of it?

Posted Tue 29 Jul 14 @ 12:55 pm
VDJ 8 Users Guide, page 34.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 14 @ 12:58 pm
groovindj wrote :
VDJ 8 Users Guide, page 34.

There is nothing on Page 34 that answers my question. I want to get rid of the Camelot system all together so that it doesn't show up when I load the VDj software.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 14 @ 1:25 pm
You're going to have to be a bit more verbose I'm afraid.

What you do you mean by "so that it doesn't show up"?

In the browser? On the decks? You say you still want the "regular" key system, so what's the issue with just changing the settings of whatever skin you're using? Most allow you to select either Camelot or "regular" on the decks, and it's easy to hide the Camelot key in the browser (see page 34).

Posted Tue 29 Jul 14 @ 2:10 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
2 deck default skin xml delete line 1471 & 2062

<text size="15" color="#E1E1E1" align="left" action="get_harmonic"/>

Yet another thing missed from options.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 14 @ 2:59 pm
Thank you locodog

That is the answer that I needed and was looking for. You're right, I think it would be great if VDJ gave the user the option of which Key display they wanted to go with in the options portion of the settings menu.

Posted Wed 30 Jul 14 @ 10:18 am
DJ Icespic wrote :
if VDJ gave the user the option of which Key display they wanted

That option's already there. As I said earlier, most skins change the key type displayed on the decks when the area is clicked.

Simply click until you see the type you want/like. No need to delete anything from the xml.

Posted Wed 30 Jul 14 @ 11:49 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Is that correct ?

-- 0.5 --
- default: show key first instead of harmonic

<textzone>
<pos x="+426+30" y="+64"/>
<size width="50" height="17"/>
<text size="17" color="#ffffff" align="left" action="get_key"/>
<text size="17" color="#ffffff" align="left" action="get_harmonic"/>
<text size="17" color="#ffffff" align="left" action="get_key_modifier"/>
</textzone>

Posted Wed 30 Jul 14 @ 1:57 pm
@ fruit if that is a question then yes but I somehow doubt it's a question given your level of skinning ability.

@ Groovin would you want to change it every time you booted V8?

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 7:36 am
locodog wrote :
@ fruit if that is a question then yes but I somehow doubt it's a question given your level of skinning ability.

I was bringing a modification I made on my skin, that will show the key by default instead of harmonic (keeping the 3 strings rotation). And if that seems a good idea also to other people, not only the OP ? :)

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 8:10 am
locodog wrote :
@ Groovin would you want to change it every time you booted V8?

I actually don't give a stuff about what's displayed when I start VDJ.........because I know I can change it on the decks or choose not to display it in the browser.

I don't have that much disdain for the Camelot key that it would bother me when I saw it. :-)

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 9:21 am
@ groovin Yeah ok it isn't massive, imagine if you had to switch the language every time you booted (only a small task but you'd tire of doing it pretty quickly), having to perform repetitious actions on pc's really winds me up, machines are supposed to save work

@ fruit; I don't think you can please everybody, V7 as standard showed Key, so many have got used to that, The Camelot system must be more popular (less brain power required) now hence the change.
Perhaps use a variable button to change all the info at once, In the skin the key info might be something like this
var_equal '$keyInfo' 1 ? get_key : get_harmonic
if people want to see key on start up they could add set '$keyInfo' 1 to ONINT

Or you know, atomix could just sort it out as a preference.

I used to use key and just worked out 3rd's & 5th's in my head because I can never remember how to convert from key to camelot but these days I have a piece of paper sticky taped to my keyboard.

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 10:42 am
locodog wrote :
@ fruit; I don't think you can please everybody,

Sure ^^ but if I can please a majority of them, why not ? :)

But, I know now, I will parse these three fields into panels so the state is remaining after re-opening the software.

Thx :)

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 10:47 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
whatever modifications you are doing on the textzones, and need to use variables , maybe it would be a good idea to use persistent ones (those start with @) instead of normal.
the persistent variables are saved across sessions, so if someone would want this text or the other, it would be good to have them as chosen on each launch.

So something like this would be ideal...

<button action="toggle '@$keyinfo'">
<Tooltip>Track's Key\nClick to toggle between Camelot and Normal values</Tooltip>
<pos... />
<text .... action="var '@$keyinfo' ? get_key : get_harmonic"/>
</button>

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 11:20 pm
djdad wrote :
(those start with @)

I used this for 2 vars already, pretty working.

But... I would like to know, what is the policy behind this kind of vars ? Is it in some way refreshed or deleted from settings.xml ?

Cause I don't want to polute users settings with thousands of unique-name vars that will be only used in my skin, IF they still use it lol. So far the two vars were, a test for one of them, and the second is your CoverDeck var that can be found in your "VirtualDJ 8 (2 Decks) Multi FX" skin that I have reused in mine (so if you want to update your skin, you may reuse '@$CoverDeck').

I think we skinners should have an area where we could permanently verify which vars are used by whatever skin so we could RE-USE it in other skins, just like I did with the 'CoverDeck' one... Dunno if that makes sense.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 2:37 am
Persistent variables ah ha, I've seen them but never knew what they were.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 5:16 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes, the persistent variables are saved in the settings.xml.
I really dont see any harm using any variables, no matter how many you want to, and whatever names you want to give them.
If you think that another saved variable may cause issues to your skins, you could name them e.g. @FRvar1, @FRvar2 etc.
Its your choice.

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 5:35 am
One practice would be to have a naming convention that includes the skin name in the Var name that way you'd never have any conflicts, but standardised var's across all skins for key etc etc would be nice but would have to be enforced by Atomix staff.

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 11:10 am
My idea was SHARED vars between skins, not PER SKIN vars ^^

And also, think, about the length of such vars, it would be unusable, varnames have to be as short as possible.

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 12:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)