Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bailiffs closed my main residency yesterday!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Argggggg!!!! Yep, found out through a friend on Facebook, bailiffs closed my residency 7am yesterday morning. They owe me for last Fridays gig (which was reasonably busy), it's the only place I've ever DJed where they pay me a week in arrears. Dunno if I'm gonna get that money today or tomorrow (not holding out much hope). Trouble is this is my main income and due to circumstances I'm literally broke and was relying on that money to pay bills and get some 'LITTLE EXTRAS' like FOOD. :-(

Been there nearly 8 years (this Sept). Didn't help, a year ago when they brought in 2 'bedroom DJs' and took my Saturdays off me. Due to the current economic climate over the last 18 months the numbers have been falling and simply people don't have the money to go out. Trouble is, it's a bit of a 'one horse town', the only nightclub in a small town with a small catchment area. 5 miles away is my hometown with a much larger catchment area with several nightclubs and late bars.

Spent all day yesterday chasing DJ jobs as there are new clubs and late bars opening in my hometown. I have a half possibility of a new residency that my mate may be leaving to take over one of the new late bars, won't know til tonight, he has the job but will be negotiating his fee. It's a Saturday night which means I will have to leave my current rock DJ gig as it's only half a gig i.e. after the bands 2 hours to finish the night. Don't wanna leave the rock gig, but, gotta put food on the table.

I'm told my Friday residency could be back open next week once they get things sorted. I will go back, but, only if I get paid at the end of each night. My new gig could turn out to be more hours and more money anyway, so, won't be relying on the old place.

It's a very stressful time, wish me luck!

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:57 am
Just received a text from Management, most likely to re-open next week, won't know til tomorrow. Ooh, fingers and toes crossed.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 8:27 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hope it all comes good for you mate.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 10:27 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Good luck!!!

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 11:47 am
Been there before ..... Good luck Les.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 12:11 pm
Soulman - I know what that feels like. It happen to me several times. Like you stated the economy is extremely rough these days. Owners are always looking to cut cost and expect dj's to also be promoters for their locations. I am pretty sure you will find someone whom will appreciate what you can bring to the table which is good quality music. Stay strong and It will all eventually will work itself out.
Good luck.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 12:43 pm
good luck "Soul"....

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 3:04 pm
...or a good 'ol fashion "contract" .. ;)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 4:26 pm
DJSoulman wrote :
I have a half possibility of a new residency that my mate may be leaving to take over one of the new late bars, won't know til tonight, he has the job but will be negotiating his fee. It's a Saturday night which means I will have to leave my current rock DJ gig as it's only half a gig i.e. after the bands 2 hours to finish the night. Don't wanna leave the rock gig, but, gotta put food on the table.

OK, it's been confirmed tonight, I have the new Saturday residency I was chasing above. Can't go public in my area til tomorrow night. Gotta go and give the rock club the bad news tomorrow night, I prefer to see them face to face and explain my actions. I'm a man of honour and hate giving such short notice but my mate has caused this by playing one off against the other to get the best deal for himself. He could have done this a week ago grrrr.

Looking forward to the new challenge, it opened last Christmas as one of the breed of new city centre upmarket style posh bars. It will be all video which no one else in my area does. It is aimed at the older crowd, they keep the young chav types out. Which means for me I get to play lots of 70s, 80s disco, soul and jazz funk. :-) Ha! What a contrast from playing Ramstein, Rush, Five Fingered Death Punch, etc.

Hopefully, my old Friday night residency will be back next week. If it does, then financially I will be back to where I was before last July with a reasonable income. Keeping my fingers crossed for that one.

Ooh, and thanks for the support guys, it's much appreciated during this stressful time.
Cheers
Les
http://www.djles.co.uk

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 5:42 pm
splaoPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Don't put all your eggs in one basket; try to go back to school on your free time or learn a trade so you will have something to fall back onto if you lose DJ gigs. Good luck.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 8:57 pm
Ha ha ha, I hear ya. I've been professional self employed DJ for just under 12 years. Yes, I normally work at more than one place so as not to 'have all my eggs in one basket' as is the case now. That's always been my philosophy.

"back to school, learn a trade" :-) I have about 5 trades to 'fall back on'.
No-one wants to employ someone 2 years from retirement, that's the reality.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 9:13 am
DJSoulman wrote :
My new gig could turn out to be more hours and more money anyway, so, won't be relying on the old place.

The owner of the new place knows my awkward situation and has took advantage. Turned out to be more hours, less money!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr....
Going on an hourly rate its half my normal rate for the last 6 1/2 years, but, because of my desperate circumstances, I have to bite the bullet and accept for now. Can't wait for circumstances to change though. I hate people taking advantage and kick you when you're down. Fill in your own expletives "@£$%^&*()"

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 3:49 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Assuming you don't want to go back to freelance work? Residency work can be good for regular money but can also be a trap that stops you earning better money with a mobile rig.
There must be a temptation to say "thanks but no thanks." Then again if it gets you working and you can get looking for another Gig it is all good. I am guessing that you have built up a good rep in the time you have been working. When another Gig becomes available then you will have the upper hand. Continue to do a good job and they will want to keep you. If you have another Gig then you can play one off the other on an "If you want me you have to match X" or if X wants you then they have to pay more than Y.
Good luck with it. I hope it works out in the end.
Had a similar thing happen with a Residency, way back in 2005. I turned up to work and found the place closed up. It had been sold off to a brewery and I ended up having to go to court to get access and retrieve my equipment. Total nightmare :-(

Daz

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 7:08 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
splao wrote :
Don't put all your eggs in one basket; try to go back to school on your free time or learn a trade so you will have something to fall back onto if you lose DJ gigs. Good luck.

Exactly what I was thinking. Diversify.... Other venues on different nights. Side shows, etc

Good luck!

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 10:51 am
Unfortunately, I have not worked in my hometown for around 4 years, so, people forget the brilliant nights with 100 yard queues outside. I have been working a rock club in my hometown for a few months, but, the majority of regular people don't go there so don't know me.

Mobile is not an option ATM. Got a pair of Mackie SRM450s but nothing else including suitable transport. I drive a 2 seater sportscar lol. Plus it would be difficult as I have a serious bad back, not helpful carrying gear about.

What I'm gonna do is try and build a good rep at this new bar I did last night. It's an upmarket crowd and arguably the best bar in my hometown. It's expensive to drink there but it's aimed at an older crowd and they actively keep the chav element out. But, if it is the best in town where can I go better? It's just the money (and the owner) thats rubbish.

There's still a glimmer of hope that my regular residency will bounce back. There's rumours that it may reopen Tuesday or Wednesday, I just have to wait and see. In my area there's only Friday and Saturday nights for DJs. Fridays have been dead for 6-7 years, Saturday is the big night out. But mid week there is nothing. At my residency, which is 5 miles away its topsy turvy, Fridays are the big night which I have worked for nearly 8 years.

The boss has said that all staff will get a text message over the weekend for when their pay is ready including me. Don't hold out much hope as it's Sunday and 6.20pm here in the UK and heard nothing yet.

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 12:20 pm
Sorry to hear man when a club starts running into financial trouble like that on this side of the pond and closes down for a minute. Well it is just a sure fire sign to move on and look elsewhere. Eventually they close for good sadly

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 6:56 pm
Yeh, that's the worry, if it does reopen how long will it continue. Strangely in my hometown only 5 miles away there are several new places opening. I wonder where they are going to get the customers from. I will be actively looking for somewhere else for a Friday night, but, don't hold out much hope as it's the quiet night of the weekend.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 14 @ 1:46 am
Tried 3 times yesterday to catch the owner in his other pub that is still running normally. Finally blew my top and charged into the private area and banged on the office door, he had locked himself in the office and wouldn't come out to see me. Said he would see me in the bar in 10 minutes. I waited then got a text message that I would be contacted the next day by management. Sorry but too busy writing up his appeal for the courts to talk to me. Grrrrrr.....

More empty promises today (Tuesday);
Management - Owner will text me tomorrow when my money will be ready to collect (Wednesday).

Posted Tue 22 Jul 14 @ 5:50 pm
Wow dodgin ya, would hate for it to happen, but maybe he is dodging you cause he is out of money and can't pay. That would suck.

Posted Tue 22 Jul 14 @ 6:13 pm
Yep, certainly is dodging me. He paid all his full time staff on Sunday, but, not me. Technically, as I am a self employed freelance DJ, I'm an outside contractor, so, I've been left til last to get my money.

This may sound strange, but, if he gets it up and running again, I will go back and work for him. In nearly 8 years I've had probably 4-5 meetings with him in all that time, I just get on with it. He is one of the few owners that recognise my professionalism and skills, he won't trust the other DJs for Bank Holidays, Christmas or New Year and when we have had hi profile artists doing PA's, I get all the cream lol. I've only had one night off in 8 years and have never been late, ever! He pays handsomely for it compared to all other venues in my area, never had an issue til now.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will get my money today.

Posted Wed 23 Jul 14 @ 12:49 am
49%