Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VirtualDJ 8 Mac - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Discuss here.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 6:13 pm
is it possible to get a time restricted dmo of vdj8 to try it out with a controller (wego) before purchase?

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 6:33 pm
Crashes horribly, mac over heats, etc. known issues, not ideal for a professional software that has been released to the public.

Other than function ability issues with systems that it's mean't to support, VDJ 8 is wonderful. Would be nice to be able to use it permanently though.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 8:48 pm
VDJ8 didn't pass a one hour test on my kitchen table. I DJ with music videos in NYC, I use a new 13" macbook I bought last year. I also tested it on a 3 year old Sony Vaio. Virtual DJ 8 is worse than 7.4, which was very unstable on mac. see the following issues:

> When using the sampler for video (clip banks replacement), the audio slows down and starts to stutter. This is with all video sources, regardless of encoding or resolution.
> I cant use the video sampler automatically when playing an audio only track.
> Setting up looping clips to play in the sampler (like 7.4's clip bank) is so cumbersome I could never set it during a live set.
> None of the video effects (like spectrum) work correctly, instead they dull the video and cause random garbage in it. (They work fine on the PC version)
> Most of the video transitions do not work. Really only fade and grid work. (just like in 7.4, they work fine on a PC)
> there is no way to choose the second display as your output in the settings, instead you need a skin that supports the video out button. (so none of the older skins)
> the CPU is constantly at 45 to 50 percent even when nothing is happening.
> none of my audio configurations saved. They disappear once I reopen the program.
> there are no video skins at 1280 x 800, and skin scaling is not great.
> there is no visualizer (but there is on the PC version, although its very low res and runs to fast on modern processors)
> there is no scroll text, and the SBDJ version is not compatible with 8 (although it was very unstable with 7.4 on mac)
> the text plugin is very poor, and is too cumbersome to use during a live set.
> there is no DMX support.

All in all Virtual DJ 8 has less working features than 7.4, and seems less stable. They spent 3 years developing it, and apparently never tested it on a 13" Macbook. The cross platform label should be removed since they clearly develop it for PC. I tried my best to be objective in this post, but I am very annoyed and frustrated. I waited so long hoping for a stable, truly cross platform version of this program, that had allot of great ideas, and instead we went from bad to worse. I am done with virtual DJ, I will be moving to different program.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 11:11 pm

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 11:51 pm
cehletPRO InfinityMember since 2012
So far this is the issues I have run into on VDJ 8 on my mac when I change the Midi timing from automatic to 1ms it puts out a horrendous crackling sound both over the headphones and the line out on my MIX TRACK PRO II. Video's Seem to error allot when attempting to load them. MIX TRACK PRO II takes multiple launches to pick up and work despite all settings attempted to be modified. I had no problems with this Controller on VDJ previous versions. When I modify the Sync Control to Play_Sync_GetBPM it doesn't work period. I have hearing problems and need this function to get me close to synced I can fine tune the sync by ear after it gets me close. It crashes frequently after the last update to VDJ 8. After I set a custom button regardless of setting set to show the wizard or not it still brings up the wizard and when I finally get it to stop launching the wizard it loses the setting I made for the button.

When I tell it to scan a new music folder for bpm's etc... it locks up and crashes. when I go back in it has lost all the settings I personalized.

I love this program but there is major bugs that need to be worked out of it. I would also like to see a wizard to make it possible to use effects made for PC only on the windows version. As well as the option to select full screen for the video output as on both PC and MAC there is only the option to select the video output device and not a option like there was in prior versions to select the output device in full screen.

Also a feature to add would be a wizard that when your setting a smart folder helps you in placing keywords in it for an example title contains "Banda" that would automatically suggest Banda after hitting the first letter etc.....

Also I suggest bringing back the status bar when your adding files to the Database and scanning them for bpm's so you actually know its working and not scratching your head wondering if its actually doing something. Also I suggest giving it the ability to do .rar files as allot of my karaoke files are .rar files and I have talked to other KJ's that have said the same thing that some of their files are .rar Also the ability for mac to actually add all your song files to the data base and I know its not adding them all as I have over a million Karaoke songs and its only adding 70,000 of them and that's with it fully scanning the folders and me even going back and scanning them again, and it be smart enough after you get it to add all my files for the program to know when you have doubles and triples of the same song especially in Karaoke and suggest to when that happens move them to a folder for deletion so that you don't waste space.

Another feature to add would be auto save function like word processing programs have so that if the program crashes after you make changes you don't have to go through it and do all the changes again instead of having to exit the program every time you make changes to save it.

Another suggestion would be to add the ability for it to automatically scan songs for embedded samples as some pools embed the samples into the songs like BPMd and you can in some of the programs automatically drag that sample out of the song and save it and some programs automatically scan the samples and populate the option to save them automatically.

Another suggestion as well for Karaoke would be like PCDJ has where you have a singer list that shows in the display who is up next and the song their singing. Not having to add that skin for karaoke and then having to use the file info's to put their name in as then you have to go back through and change the file info's after their done singing which is more work than in necessary.

Another suggestion would be the ability to have a remote request station that has your song database in it where people can search your song catalog and then select a song they want to sing and it automatically adds it to your play list with their name next to it this is for both music and karaoke.

I will post more suggestions as I remember all the idea's I had.

Posted Fri 23 May 14 @ 5:01 am
Tried installing the final release on my Mac.
Installation procedure completed ("Success") but no new icon in Applications. Existing Pre-release was NOT updated wither.
Tried moving pre-release to Documents/Virtual DJ 8.app.bak, rebooting and installing again, no new icon in Applications either.

Posted Fri 23 May 14 @ 5:36 am
The Pre-Release and full release are exactly the same!!

Posted Fri 23 May 14 @ 5:37 am
Oh right. Misread "8.0.1" instead of "8.0.1785".
Kinda disappointed though, I was expecting some fixes in the final release BUT I'm still very happy about all the improvements over 7.4.

I've been opening a new "Most Wanted Features" thread here.

Posted Fri 23 May 14 @ 5:42 am
Updates will keep flowing, don't worry about that.

Bug fixes and new features. Obviously bug fixes first ;-)

Posted Fri 23 May 14 @ 5:44 am
Already 8.0.1799.659 and still RAM consumption.
Using the Automix to listen 13 songs to test the RAM, the VDJ RAM use increased to 12 Go

Impossible to use VDJ8 on Mac for a gig ........

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:16 am
Now over double the cpu usage from 7.4.1 to v8. GREAT!!!

Normal CPU playing videos was 23%........Now 53%.

Im on a mbp 13", 2012, Processor: i5 2.5, 16gb Ram and 2 x SSD

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 2:32 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
Updates will keep flowing, don't worry about that.

Bug fixes and new features. Obviously bug fixes first ;-)

Three years development later, it was so easy to confess VDJ8 was only avalaible for Windows users 👎

As told in features, it hasn't the maturiry of VDJ7 and should add "for windows users and not ready for Mac Users".

Would be a great begin, introducing VDJ8.

💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤 hope didn't wake anybody up🎭🎭🎭🎭🇫🇷

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 7:33 pm
Yessssssssss!
Someone wasn't sleeping this week end at VDJ

The 1806.664 is out and the memory consumption is stable. Something about 210Mo while playing and 105 Mo when you unload the tracks, skin 2 decks.

But the proc continues to grow up if your'e using another window like Firefox or Safari while playing with VDJ as when I write this message

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:58 am
MacBook Pro 13" (early 2011) running Mac OSX 10.9.3
VDJ 8.0.0 build 1806.666
No Controller or external mixer or sound card. (Just external speaker).

Is anyone experiencing a slight misalignment between the graphic waves and the actual sound. When the beat is sounding completely in sync I find that the graphic beat overlay is slightly off (meaning the peaks do not perfectly align). I think the right deck, if I recall correctly is slightly to the left. If someone can check it with simple house or techno with distinct beats it should be fairly obvious.

The other possibility is my eye - ear coordination is out of sink. Perhaps I am processing the color red more slowly :-)

Thanks,
Otto

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 9:37 pm
odevries wrote :
MacBook Pro 13" (early 2011) running Mac OSX 10.9.3
VDJ 8.0.0 build 1806.666
No Controller or external mixer or sound card. (Just external speaker).

Is anyone experiencing a slight misalignment between the graphic waves and the actual sound. When the beat is sounding completely in sync I find that the graphic beat overlay is slightly off (meaning the peaks do not perfectly align). I think the right deck, if I recall correctly is slightly to the left. If someone can check it with simple house or techno with distinct beats it should be fairly obvious.

The other possibility is my eye - ear coordination is out of sink. Perhaps I am processing the color red more slowly :-)

Thanks,
Otto

Yes, my waves forms are moving at the speeds of 45s but the audio is like regular.... so disappointed...
love all the features, just need it Mac stable....

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 11:31 pm
I am using macbook pro.. no issues here

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 8:18 pm
cehletPRO InfinityMember since 2012
My Macbook Pro is Seizing up fully as a system under the full release especially when I try to record a set. Not happy at all with it not happy at all!

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 1:11 am
Hello!
I have a question, how can I do to support Drag & Drop?, I mean, in Virtual DJ 7 I could drag from the desktop or any folder files to a deck and Virtual DJ 8 am unable
I have this problem and need a solution

Posted Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 10:25 am
This issue has been reported. There is nothing you can do to fix this.

Hopefully there will be an update soon to fix this issue but I don't know when or which update this will be.

Posted Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 11:01 am
31%