Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Any way to change the browser sorting - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Buy a mouse with extra buttons.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 6:17 am
I must admit I found it annoying during my last gig using VDJ 8 too.

At various times I clicked the 'rating' column as I wanted my highest rated tracks at the top, and ended up with the scroll bar in the middle or at the bottom.

I guess hitting Home isn't difficult, but it's an extra step & a change in MO. It'll take getting used to.

A choice would be good.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 6:37 am
This is precisely the problem.

Would be possible also that the browser between left and right mouse click on the column browser to another Behaves:
Links like V7, V8 law as.

@locodog
As a home user you have no practical experience in live performance. Mouse with extra buttons is a moronic solution.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 12:29 pm
Why do you think I have no experience with live performance? You've assumed because I don't have a licence that I haven't done unpaid events or broadcasts, even if I had a licence I'd keep this account as a home user just to confuse arrogant users.
A (gaming) mouse with extra buttons isn't a moronic solution as you could map these extra buttons within the mouse driver to the Home or End keys.
Your reply was both arrogant and moronic as you simply dismissed the idea instead of asking how that would help.

So I think the appropriate term here would be 'jog on'.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 4:39 pm
I wanna be like loco and change my sig to home user so I can piss people off too!

Stephan , I'm not sure what Locos reasons are for being only a home user, but he is one of the more knowledgable people around here when it comes to Vdj 8

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 8:31 pm
@locodog
ok ... sorry. But I just do not understand why you are working with a home version at home ..... you can not even test or configure your equipment right at home .... but whatever.

Your suggestion with the more button mouse:
It would not solve the problem: I sort the browser live differently after 5 or 6 columns, depending on the situation. The simplest solution at the moment is to map Y-Key (German keyboard), push with left hand, so that the browser is up to me after sorting . But is more cumbersome than it was in the V7.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 8:50 am

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 10:52 am
DJ-Elliot wrote :
Jason K wrote :
In VDJ 7 if you clicked the top of the column it would sort the music to that column. It does this in 8, but it doesn't set the scroll back to the top like it used to. I'm constantly having to scroll up or down to get to the top or bottom. Can this be changed to work like it did before?

+1

I would prefer the version 7 function too.
It was much more comfortable...

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 1:42 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
No solution yet?
Keyboard shortcuts are not a solution for me. I bought an ns7II so I wouldn't have to use the keyboard shortcuts. Mouse with more buttons? I didn't need more buttons before. Obviously, if I want to sort the music by a different method, it's because I'm not finding what I'm looking for. Making me scroll back to the top of my newly sorted order seems ridiculous. I was already on that song, why would I care where it was at after I wanted the list sorted differently? Why would I need to find it again, if I was just looking at it. If I'm sorting tempo, I'm typically only interested in the top or bottom of the range, so I can move up or down. If I'm interested in play count, why would I want to end up in an area that's half way down the list. I'm either looking for something that's dependable, or I'm looking for something I don't usually play. Either way, when I resort the order, I want to see the most extreme options typically.

Why is there no option to change this?

I'm giving VDJ 8 another try, the next few weeks. I've been completely ignoring it because of issues like this. My other major issue is with the cached music. I fixed the cached problem, by buying all of the tracks that were in my cache.

VDJ 8 sounds amazing, and gives me some new features, but overall I just need it to work efficiently. If after 5-10 gigs, it's still slowing my flow down, I have to revert back to VDJ 7.

I've been using and recommending VDJ since 4.3. I've also spent tons of hours trying to help others in the forums. How come the devs seem so indifferent to this request? I'm a real paid user, doing great stuff with their products, and I've helped to win them a whole bunch of new customers. I'm saying that I need it to work a certain way, and all I'm getting is deal with it.

Is it simply not possible? Is it simply not worth the devs time? How long would it take to have them add and option to use VDJ 7 browser? Do they need more money? Can all the users who want this feature start a reward for the dev who can make this happen?

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 1:21 pm
Lol, You reorder with the mouse and it's a problem to click the scroll bar (which is absolute by the way), you have a controller and you can't map a button to browser_scroll +/-200.

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 2:25 pm
locodog wrote :
Lol, You reorder with the mouse and it's a problem to click the scroll bar (which is absolute by the way), you have a controller and you can't map a button to browser_scroll +/-200.

I use the buttons on the controller to manipulate the music. Which function should I give up to be able to do what I could before. How bout one of VDJ 8's new features. I don't know how often you quick mix, but seconds can mean missing a great mix point and cause a loss of energy in your mix. An option to switch the behavior would work for everyone, without requiring keyboard shortcuts, a new mouse, or having to remap your controller.

How is it better with the new sorting?

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 3:30 pm
locodog wrote :

Why are you chiming in anyways. If an option existed you could have it either way. You've already submitted a possible solution to which, I and others have addressed the reasons for it not being an easy or optimal solution. LOL are trying to be a nuisance, or contribute? There is no point in arguing in your case, since it already works the way you apparently like it.

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 3:48 pm
I'm trying to enlighten you. It is you that seems to want to hold us all back with legacy support for something that is easily solved with mapping 2 keys.

I can see about 10 ways to remap (without really trying) without sacrificing anything, shift + pitch bend/s, shift + fwd/back shift+load, shift+load_prepare shift+right/left deck selects.

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 3:57 pm
Explain how this new method is an improvement. How does it speed things up?

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 4:33 pm
I've already explained how I think current is > than old, Staff quoted my posts in agreement, Atomix Coders also thought the new method was better too.
Here's the crux, instead of bleating and waiting for code to be rewritten (which may never happen) you have a fix available to you.

Several months waiting using V7 or 1/2 a second to push a button with V8? Doesn't the latter seem quicker than the former?

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 5:25 pm
Browser sort is not my only issue.

First issue was the lack of a plugin for Freestyler. It's been fixed thanks SBDJ
Second issue was problems with cached tracks not being authorized. Not sure if it's been resolved. I went ahead and purchased most of my cached tracks to avoid this problem.
Third issue was with video. Regardless of how I have it set, the only way I seem to have full brightness in video is to slide the crossfader all the way to that channel. Some of my mixes don't use the crossfader at all. So its an added step to push it over for full brightness. Plus I have to reprogram my brain to pull it back over for the next mix. I can make it work, but it didn't seem to be an issue before.
Fourth issue as of the last show I did, I'm still having some video issues. It might be from the milkdrop plugin, I'm not sure though. Video went black about an hour in and would come back on occasionally, but milkdrop was gone the rest of the night.
Fith issue was getting the mulitfx to work with my NS7 II. Had it working Wednesday with a new skin. There's a button combo to turn in on, just can't remember where I saw it.
Sixth issue is the browser sorting. I might get used to it, but as of now it sucks butt and wastes time.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:05 am
Jason K wrote :
In VDJ 7 if you clicked the top of the column it would sort the music to that column. It does this in 8, but it doesn't set the scroll back to the top like it used to. I'm constantly having to scroll up or down to get to the top or bottom. Can this be changed to work like it did before?

I too would like this back, although I found if you CTRL+A in the browser then click bpm or key or whichever one it does behave like VDJ 7 and keeps the scroll at the top, not ideal as it still means you have to use the keyboard more than you'd like. (I use FRUiT's skin btw), Maybe a custom button could do the trick?

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 9:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)