Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Beef up that SEARCH bar wasted space

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I think it's relevant, with VDJ8, that the SEARCH bar benefit from the customization capabilities Atomix has incorporated in the "user customizable buttons" within the skin interface.

Here is my suggestion: Add user-customizable fields and operators to the search bar so users with big libraries can segment their searches on a more granular level.
For instance, if I'm doing a Summer deck party and really want to build a play list from my "Island" folder of music, it would be great to be able to select just that folder, or just the genre "reggae" or just the keyword "island", which I put in my User1 field.

Here's a proposed layout. The dev team knows what I mean about user-customizable, as the back-end configurator is modular and a Search Bar modifier section could easily be added.
See attached mock-up below:

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:19 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If you " want to build a play list " from a special folder why don't you just click on that folder?
So the search will be in that focus first.

If you want to build a playlist with all "reggae" genre, why don't you use a filter folder?

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:38 am
I like that idea.

Being able to search in a "filter folder" fashion directly from the browser search has been requested in the past.

I mentioned the wasted space there too, and my suggestion was to move the buttons from the left of the folder area to that space. Having them vertically can cause problems when using small screens or skins with small browsers.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:41 am
PachN wrote :
If you " want to build a play list " from a special folder why don't you just click on that folder?
So the search will be in that focus first.

If you want to build a playlist with all "reggae" genre, why don't you use a filter folder?

Hey PachN, the goal is to be able to access multiple search criteria simultaneously. Having to retype a long string of search terms for every search can be frustrating in a live environment. With this idea, you can customize (in the back-end) what each drop-down does, so if you frequently search by service "Xmix" or "SelectMix", but don't want another filter folder, you can customize the drop-down to be a "quick search" parameter, that stays in effect until you clear it. I hope that explains it.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:52 am
Any of you admins see this post? I'm curious if any consideration is being given to improving the search bar?

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 11:29 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
+1 to the motion of being able to enter multiple search terms in separate search bars for live filtering.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 12:12 pm
Maybe we could have a "search tools" button like Google that brings up extra options.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 12:20 pm
i totally agree - on vdj7 you could search "island" or as i have some named "top hits urban" or "booty" or "top 3" and it worked on vdj7 also copy and paste doesnt work either you have to eliminate the hyphen bar ( - ) to make the search work. in vdj7 you could copy and paste with the hyphen. come guys get it right :)

Posted Fri 11 Jul 14 @ 3:02 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I wanted to put virtual folders in that space for easy drag dropping.

Posted Fri 11 Jul 14 @ 3:26 pm
um... how about making it user customizable?

we have so much of it already able to be tweaked for user preference - why not make it like the customizable buttons? let the user put anything they want in there that they feel will ease workflow?

Posted Fri 11 Jul 14 @ 6:07 pm
You can make the browser itself customised, and then add your own stuff (such as buttons, prelisten etc) to that top bar area.

A couple of guys have already done it. Dan's Browser Zoom skin has a custom browser, and FRUiT used a similar one for his skin.

Posted Fri 11 Jul 14 @ 6:35 pm
okay I've either mis-communicated what I was trying to get across or you just you're like many who don't understand that for many of us the idea of messing with the skins is NOT a good one.

it's almost 3 inches of blank space. we can think of uses for it.

almost sorry I said anything.

Posted Fri 11 Jul 14 @ 7:08 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Why is it not a good idea? Make a copy, and learn something

Posted Sat 12 Jul 14 @ 2:44 am
Wild CC, I realise that we shouldn't really have to get our hands dirty messing around with code and graphics in order to tweak things - but I'm just stating that adding stuff in the toolbar area can be done. When I said "you", I didn't literally mean you as an individual. I meant you as in people / users.

To Atomix - if it's possible to do it when using a custom browser, why can't that same option be added to the default browser? The code is written.

We've already got custom buttons on the default skin (and others) so how hard would it be to allow custom stuff along the toolbar?

Posted Sat 12 Jul 14 @ 6:49 am
to @scot i have found out how to search for your "named" folders - there is a round button next to the search bar you have to choose filepath for it to find your "islands" folder etc :)

Posted Sat 12 Jul 14 @ 10:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)