Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: can I move my cache to another computer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

got a couple of live gigs over the next couple of weeks , i normally use a kam dual mp3 player as my backup , in case i have a problem or need to reboot, but i have reconfigured my rack and there is no space for it, I decide I should probably have a second macine running VDJ, so got around to reformating my old laptop, fresh install the os and VDJ.

I have copied all my music and Karaoke files over , and have also copied the virtual dj folder in my documents.

everything works ok on my old laptop, playlists etc etc, but songs i have downloaded from content unlimited just give an error on loading.

I have tried refreshing the catche but still get the error.

so my question is, can the catche be moved from one computer to another ?

is there something else I need to take into account?

is it a problem due to the fact that my main laptop is running windows 7 , and my old one is running windows xp?

I buy nearly all my music anyway, so its not a major problem , but t would be nice to keep my my old backup Laptop in 'sync' with my gig laptop.

Posted Thu 31 Oct 13 @ 5:28 pm
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011
 Best Answer Did you put the cache files from the old computer in to the cache folder in virtual dj on the new one?

Posted Thu 31 Oct 13 @ 7:30 pm[ selected best answer by RobRoy on Wed 11 Jul 18 @ 7:17 am ]
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Did you put the cache files from the old computer in to the cache folder in virtual dj on the new one?

Selected as best answer Posted Thu 31 Oct 13 @ 7:30 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Did you sign in on the new install?

Posted Thu 31 Oct 13 @ 9:54 pm
Yes I have copied the entire vdj folder under my documents over from the main winn7 machine to the the backup XP machine

I am wondering if its to do with the difference between 7 and XP ?

All my music is in the same path , c:\music and c:\karaoke

it looks like the downloaded music is under the my docs folder

The paths for user docs is different in 7 and XP, I think this is the problem

I wonder if this paths can be edited in the config somehow?

It would be nice if vdj 8 could have configarable paths for its settings , catche , etc

Posted Fri 01 Nov 13 @ 2:23 am
If you have also copied your database across, then the cached content won't work if the paths are different.

You should be able to resolve this by right-clicking on the ContentIUnlimited folder and choosing Add To Search DB

Posted Fri 01 Nov 13 @ 7:30 am
Thank you to the support staff !

adding to the db restored operation, I had visions of editing paths in config or copying the cache to another folder, this fix only takes seconds to do!

Thanks

Posted Sun 03 Nov 13 @ 7:34 am
happy77PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is there a simple quick way to move the cache files into designated folders?

Posted Wed 11 Jul 18 @ 2:06 am
Did you not read the messages in this thread?

Posted Wed 11 Jul 18 @ 7:00 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
@happy77
just have a look at the flaged "best answer"
if you have any further questions, dont hesitate to ask

Posted Wed 11 Jul 18 @ 7:18 am
I copied and pasted the cache files from one computers Virtual DJ 7 to my backup computers Virtual DJ 7. The new cache files on the backup computer won't show up in the existing cache files but if I type in a new cache files name to the search bar the cache file shows up and can be played. I tried "Add to search DB" and that didn't fix the issue. What am I doing wrong?

Posted Sat 28 Jul 18 @ 6:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)