Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: FL Studio Vs. Ableton Vs. Logic Vs. Cubase Vs. Reason

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Which one should I use?

My friend says that he tried ableton but the songs wouldn't sync right with VDj
I know Avicii and Blackmill use FL Studio
but Diplo uses Ableton ( I think)

I want to be as good as Blackmill making chillstep, and as good as Diplo making Trap and Moombahton..

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 11:41 am
I'd go with Reason, it sounds awesome, it's pretty easy to use and they have there own vst's which means it won't crash slot like other programs.

FL doesn't sound that good in my opinion. Ableton you dam near have to be a rocket scientists to use, lol!!

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:03 pm
Reason is amazingly stable and compatible with an even more amazing price tag!

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:08 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Have to give Reason a go. It does so much and it defiantly takes some time to figure it out. I messed around with it a lot a few years ago, but I've been too busy to sit down with it since then. Every time I do go back to it I have to relearn stuff I've already figured out before. If I was a kid with all the time in the world Ableton would be awesome. I don't have 10 hours a week to sit in front of my computer without getting any useful results. I get ideas in my head that want out and I've been looking for an easier way to do it. I always figured they were all similar. Thanks for the info.

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:27 pm
Yeah, I have to agree with the suggestions and say Reason.

If you're just starting out and want to make some noises then it gives you everything you need in one package.

On the other hand, Live (Ableton is the company not the software) only has a basic sampler and drums - unless you buy Live Suite.

Live, Cubase and Logic are the "big boys toys" and although they are usable by beginners, you'll probably find it easier to start with Reason.

FYI Steinberg has some software called Sequel which is also useful for getting started with loops and sounds.

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 1:26 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I have to say Reason.
It gives me the best sound in my opinion.
I am using FL Studio and Ableton to, but no one is near that sound Reason produce...Its just a Pro (gram)..

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 2:14 pm
Yup, I agree. I've tried them all and Reason just sounds so good.

Posted Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 2:22 pm
iv been using FL studio for the last 8 years now.. tried ableton i dont like the work flow and reason ic complicated..cuba i dont know just seen a friend work with it it seems easy..

first of all FL studio is the easiest to use.. and i say to you go to you tube and type in basic beat making i guarantee you you will learn how to make a beasic beat in under 5 minutes.

Posted Tue 29 Oct 13 @ 4:53 am
groovindj wrote :

Live, Cubase and Logic are the "big boys toys" and although they are usable by beginners, you'll probably find it easier to start with Reason.

Mmmm, can't really agree on the above, all four packages have a different approach in making music. Cubase and Reason are studio production environments while Ableton and Logic are more interactive tools suitable for live performances.

Neither of them is 'easy' to understand if you have no (electronic) musical background what so ever or never experimented with a sequencer.

Reason might be the upcoming 'underdog' and not so much a big boys toy, but compared to functionality, complexity and performance it is very equal to for example the direct competitor, Cubase. You actually see pro's switching from Cubase to Reason.

So to say Reason is easy... no.. Its a blank sheet music production environment. I Would actually expect that for example Ableton, working more with samples, parts of tracks, etc, will give you much bigger results with much less effort or learning curve.

Posted Tue 29 Oct 13 @ 11:22 am
I am well aware of the features and differences between Live, Cubase and Reason. I've used all three - Cubase the longest (since the 80s).

I was merely putting it briefly and summing everything up into one sentence.

Posted Tue 29 Oct 13 @ 12:10 pm
I have to add pro tools to the list. My friend is using pro tools 8 (where 11 is out now) and he makes dope beats off that alone. The features are not as jam packed like abletons are, and he still pulls off some nice music. Pro tools and ableton are the only two I have experience with, and I can say they both offer good features.

Posted Tue 29 Oct 13 @ 8:42 pm
RehdhHome userMember since 2014
Look,I'm going to be honest here.I am pretty much happy with Fl Studio,Even though sometimes the sound is not "Quite Right".I recently added Cubase,and at first it looked like the controls to the starship enterprise to me.I have realized Cubase is set up more for midi-interface creation.People say there's something that can be used like a step sequencer,But I can't figure that ish out!Ableton?I had it,Don't anymore,Because it has no vst support!That's an instant NO from me.Shame too,Because I could figure out Ableton Live!My question is this....Any DAW's that create like FL Studio,Sound like Cubase,And accept VST's(As both Do),If not,Why not?Am I missing something here?I'm great at making music,But using Cubase baffles me,Besides simply importing audio,And using it as such.Maybe I need a course or something...LOL

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 10:51 am
Rehdh wrote :
Ableton? I had it, don't anymore, because it has no VST support!

Damn, your post was hard to read! Capital letters instead of spaces - very odd.

Anyway, Live does have VST support. Cubase can be used without a MIDI interface.

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 11:10 am
santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I’ve come to realize all DAWs have their strengths and weaknesses. I use Reason and FL Studio to create the sounds, I sequence in ACID Pro (been using Acid since 2002) and I master in Sound Forge.

I am not a fan of FL Studio and Reason’s sequencers. I like Acid’s simplicity.

I also use Ableton, but I can get the same results from Acid Pro so I have not spent too much time learning how to use it.

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 12:34 pm
RehdhHome userMember since 2014
I see what you're saying,About Ableton using vsts.However,What I was pointing out about Cubase wasn't that it was midi exclusive,Simply that It is designed with midi as the main focus,to me.I am now getting into Studio One,And I think I'm going to love it!(I'm hitting the spacebar inbetween the words,so...),But yes I am odd!

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 4:49 pm
Rehdh wrote :
It is designed with midi as the main focus

Cubase did grow from a purely MIDI sequencer in the 80s. It didn't handle audio until the early 90s, which is still a long way ahead of Ableton.

Live wasn't born until 2001.

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 5:51 pm
gullumPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I use Reason and have used it since version 2. I used it together with Nuendo to begin with because Reason lacked audio recording back then.
When I started making remixes and mashups I started using Ableton Live ( Maschine as plugin) Now I use Reason for everything it's time stretching is unbelievable and audio quantize. I say it's easy to use but I've used it since early 2000.
I've tried FL, Cubase and Pro tools but none of them have been right for me.

Posted Thu 27 Feb 14 @ 4:47 am
FjorkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Bitwig when it arrives on 26 March, or Presonus Studio One.

Posted Thu 27 Feb 14 @ 10:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)