Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I have found a way to use virtual DJ in linux
Prompt me if anyone wants a guide or if there already is one.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 13 @ 12:02 am
I would love a guide, I used to be a bit of a linux fanboy when I was playing with backtrack to learn internet security a while back. The operating system is second to none accept on the dj software side.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 13 @ 1:49 am
VIrtualDJ is currently a Windows or Mac application only. There is currently no native Linux version. The only way you could run it under Linux is using emulation of some kind (E.g: WINE) or a virtual machine (vm) running Windows.

VirtualDJ is a demanding real time DJ mixing application and it's unlikely that you will get very good performance or reliability running it in a virtual and/or emulated environment.

While it might be fun to get VDJ running under Linux at home, such a setup would not be recommended for live performance.

Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Linux%20compatibility.html

Posted Wed 25 Sep 13 @ 4:50 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Current VDJ versions will actually run on Wine but is completely unsupported by us. As above I really would not recommend using it for anything other than curiosity.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 13 @ 9:47 am
TheVC6Home userMember since 2015
Guys, I just can't believe this. I just talk with another staff and he said the same bullshit.
FOR GOD SAKE, you are in this market with the SAME product for over a decade and did'nt see a room for linux users? WTF?!

Its just enter in ANY group of technical or programming that u will see that about 80% are linux users! Even Microsoft use linux a lot in their systems. Its just pathetic you want to sell a product and ignore this.

Posted Sat 16 May 15 @ 9:29 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Can linux users do everything?, they make out like they can.

Posted Sat 16 May 15 @ 9:45 am
Linux? Get real.

Posted Sat 16 May 15 @ 2:58 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
TheVC6 wrote :
Its just enter in ANY group of technical or programming that u will see that about 80% are linux users! Even Microsoft use linux a lot in their systems. Its just pathetic you want to sell a product and ignore this.

But our target customers are DJs, not techies or programmers?

Obviously there is some crossover but you have to bear in mind that as a commercial operation we would have to weigh those few potential sales up against the extra development time, the extra support required and continually tracking a multitude of changes to a multitude of popular distributions. The hardware manufacturers are also a big barrier too - very little DJ hardware works properly on Linux.

Posted Sat 16 May 15 @ 4:42 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
For the next major update or recoding of VDJ, just consider to write the software in JAVA.
Because, according to the JAVA fanboys, JAVA is as fast as C++, of course, plattform independent.

And think of it, with JAVA a mobile port should be quite easy. At least for Android.

And yes, I'm trolling.

Posted Mon 18 May 15 @ 3:56 am
TheVC6 wrote :

Hmmm... I'm a programmer, but I only use Linux for servers. So does my colleagues (about 150 of them) except one single person who runs Ubuntu
Even though other DJ software run on Linux I've never met a pro DJ who DJs on Linux.
So I don't think the demand is very big...

/Klaus

Posted Mon 18 May 15 @ 5:46 am
PachN wrote :
Because, according to the JAVA fanboys, JAVA is as fast as C++, of course, plattform independent.

I'm a Java fanboy (well, a Java developer anyway (among other things)), but I wouldn't recommend Java for a high performance OS installed client without backend usages.
Java is generally best when it's on the server :)

/Klaus

Posted Mon 18 May 15 @ 6:06 am
well Linux is a very capable operating system, so why would you not support it ?

lets think.....

mmm it's open source , so which version , which distribution?

its not Just virtual DJ , what about drivers for controllers?

graphics drivers ?

how on earth would the programmers be able to test and support when there are so many Linux variations ?, it would be like me ringing a garage and asking for a spare part for my car, I can here the conversation I my head now, "what model of car is it sir", "one of those with wheels", I would get no ware lol

sorry for being a bit cynical but I don't think its possible for a company with such a high performance product to offer good service for such a diverse open source OS like Linux!

Posted Thu 21 May 15 @ 9:03 am
port it for debian which ubuntu and the most used distros are built on problem solved

Posted Sat 15 Aug 15 @ 6:04 am
TheVC6 wrote :
Guys, I just can't believe this. I just talk with another staff and he said the same bullshit.
FOR GOD SAKE, you are in this market with the SAME product for over a decade and did'nt see a room for linux users? WTF?!

Really? Take a look at the market share in 2015.

In what alternate universe does 1.68% sound like good business sense to you? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you........................(crickets). How many in that 1.68% are DJs, storming the castle, begging for a Linux version, 20? This is not a technical or programming software, but a DJ software. Other has 3.4% market share, maybe we should get a whole new team together, to support that. I don't even know who other is, and they have a bigger market share. How pathetic (your word) is that?

Posted Sat 15 Aug 15 @ 6:30 am
A Man and His Music wrote :

Really? Take a look at the market share in 2015.

Market share of what? Sold copies? You know Linux is free right?

Your chart isn't even relevant.

I think the real reason they won't do a Linux port is they can't cripple the software to make more money.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 17 @ 1:24 am
Wow, you are late to the party, which is over. Get here a little bit earlier the next time. Maybe you were in some kind of a deep sleep, and just woke up. If that's the case, I apologize. They are in business to make more money. This is a business. What part of that is so hard to understand? Do you work for free? Do you want a raise every year? Just because it's free, doesn't mean that it's relevant. STD's are free, who is in line to get one? Actually that's not fair, because I have stock in several pharmaceutical companies, that are in the business of making antibiotics and vaccines, and make more money. I'm sure if there was money to be made, they would have done it a long time ago.

Posted Sun 19 Feb 17 @ 5:32 am
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
TheVC6 wrote :

but the real desktop share of ppl who use linux is like 2 percent and has stayed that way for 20 years. whats the incentive?

Moderator Replying to an 8 year old post. Please check dates when posting.

Posted Tue 07 Mar 23 @ 8:52 am