Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Numark Virtual Vinyl or Traktor Scratch A6 for timecode?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everyone, just over a week ago, I ordered a Hercules Deejay Trim + Scratch 4&6 system.

I've been waiting for over a week for this thing to show up, with no word from the store as to what's happening with it.

Today I called the store to find out what's going on, and i get told that the systems are backordered at the manufacturer, and the wait will be at least 2 weeks, PLUS up to a week for the thing to ship to me.

I ordered this thing to replace an M-Audio Conectiv that decided to let the usb conector come out with the cable about 2 months ago.

In the meantime i've been using my Mixtrack as a backup, but the thing is starting to drive me nuts (Why I bought a MIDI controller with no audio interface is anybody's guess)

So either i have to use the controller for another month, or I've got to find another soundcard. It seems like I have 2 options of similar price for alternate card.

Option 1: Traktor Scratch A6

Option 2: A Numark Virtual Vinyl System I found On Clearance

What I need to know here are the pros and cons of both systems in terms of use with VDJ 7.4, and if possible, how they stack up against the herc system.

Here's what I'll be primarily using:
Numark TT-200s at Home, CDJ-1000MK3s at Club
Stanton M.203 at Home, Rane MP44 at Club
Macbook Pro 2012, 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, Quad Core 2.3GHZ Intel i5
VDJ Pro 7.4

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 4:37 pm
audio 6 all the way... I have the virtual vinyl soundcard collecting dust in a box somewhere. The numark is great on latency but poor on sound quality. The cons of it are that the soundcard doesn't use ASIO drivers, it is proprietary drivers... what that means is you cant combine the VV soundcard with any others so you are stuck with two decks and you couldn't combine it with your connective soundcard (I have one of those too).

I don't have an Audio 6, just an Audio 8 which is the older model. The Audio 8 is fantastic for a dj soundcard, I can run it at 5ms latency with a louder and better quality output than the numark. The only con is that the newer drivers haven't worked correctly with my last three computers so I always have to use the older drivers, but they work great anyway.

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 4:47 pm
Any compatibility issues?

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 5:23 pm
nope, only with the VV soundcard as you can't use it for anything other than VDJ

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 5:42 pm
Excellent, thanks for the information :)

Now, I've also found a good deal on a Rane SL2. Where would you say it falls in all of this?

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 11:11 pm
never owned any rane gear sorry, huey has though.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 7:36 am
I use an SL3. Out of them all I'd go with the A6 just because it has that spare channel which means you can run samples on their own and I'm sure the latency is gonna good with any NI card.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 11:11 am
so I can route the sampler output to a third channel?

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 1:25 pm
yes and no... The audio 6 has 3 stereo out's and 3 stereo in's. but one of the outs is shared with the headphones and one of the in's is shared with the microphone.

If you're using an analog mixer that's no problem, you can use the mixer to run your headphone's and if you have 3 or more channels you could send the sampler to it's own individual channel. If you need to rely on the soundcard for headphones then you can't do that with the sampler.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 1:34 pm
Makes sense, sounds like the A6 is the one to buy then. Thanks guys :)

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 1:41 pm
Well you might wanna grab an SL3 or an A8. I didn't know that's how the 6 worked.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 1:59 pm
I've asked my connection about the SL2, Scratch A6, and Scratch A10, it'll be one of those 3

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 2:13 pm
Well if you've got the loot, I'd just grab an A8 and call it good, lol!! Plenty of options with that card.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 13 @ 2:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)