Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: JBL PRX612M vs EV-ELX112P vs QSC K12 review

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

so after reading,reading and reading some more i narrowed it down to these 3 brands.

I listened to all 3 in person and to be honest it was still hard to decide. I ended up working out a plan with the GC manager and use the excellent return policy they had w a promise that i would buy a pair of bags, cables, and stands when i decided on which ones I would buy.

So over a 3 week period I bought and exchanged all 3 pairs. lived with them for a week each. never abused them and never clipped them.

Truthfully the EV's and QSC's sound very similar, the jbls, sounded excellent at break neck volumes. The bass response (to my ears) sounded better on the QSC's and EV's. (better mids/highs on the jbls)

In the end i chose the QSC's and you may wonder why since they aren't the cheapest.

1. the warranty (AND PAST WARRANTY EXPERIENCES) the other 2 brands have great warranty's as well BUT in all my years QSC's products have hardly let me down. EXCEPT one time a channel on an amp went out long AFTER warranty and QSC still fixed it for free!!!

2. the jbl sounded excellent but i didn't like the bass response, and i dont like how the subs (which i plan to buy later on) sounded. the cab looks great and im sure i could eq it to my liking BUT i had a jbl speaker go out on me 2x in the past and i waited over a month BOTH times.

3. the EV's are honorable mentions, in fact these may end up being my back up pair. i just never really have dealt with EV warranty wise.
if your on a budget consider these speakers a cheaper alternative to the k12's.

In the mobile DJ world I cant afford down time, If and when it does happen I need a speedy turn around, QSC has always stepped up to the bat service wise and i see value in that.

all 3 of these are excellent, sound excellent and perform as expected. my wish list would be the highs/mids of the jbls, the looks of the jbls, the price of the EV's, the bass from the EV's/QSC with the warranty and service of QSC.

hope this helps anyone looking to buy these 3 speakers

Posted Fri 31 May 13 @ 2:55 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Good choice on the QSC's.

I own both the elx 115p's and the zlx 112p's. Both are excellent speakers. EV's warranty dept is pretty good. I have had the woofers repaved on them under warranty. The magnets cracked. They determined the problem to be a faulty magnet and I had no problem with them replacing them.

Posted Fri 31 May 13 @ 3:37 pm
I used to own a Pair of QSC K12s and I sold them after a few months. I used them for 6 gigs and noticed when I had the speaker cranked up, The amount of volume I was hearing didn't seem like it was at max. The Qscs are brighter than the Jbls and Evs and the bass is good but, You cant have the volume high in deep mode. I Bought the Jbl Prx 615m speakers and they Thunder when you have them loud. Its Not as bright as the Qscs but, It sounds warm and the bass is Excellent. The EV speakers sound different. They have a even sound. The highs and mids don't lean towards you like the Qscs and jbls. I heard them side by side with No extra processing many times plus, I owned the Qscs and Jbls and I dyed with the Evs and at a Local lounge. When buying speakers, You have to make sure that the sales guy doesn't have a subwoofer on when hearing speakers or using a sound processor to enhance the sound.

Posted Fri 31 May 13 @ 5:41 pm
George...
You need to hear MY EV's.

I am happy with them and you have seen what kind of sound I am used to from pics of my equipment in your thread about equipment.

What a lot of people don't understand is that powered speakers are still a speakers and an amp. They just happen to be in the same box.

Just max out the amp on the speaker just like you would on a regular power amp. Cut back elsewhere but give your speakers all the juice they need.

I have had great results with my EV's both the ELX and the ZLX.

I run mine with the QSC kw181's and i'm swazy.

The QSC's sound great but for the money, I HAD to go with the EV's. I could not see spending the extra money on the QSC's and not getting $500 more worth of sound outn of them compared to the EV's.

QSC k series is a hell of a buy though and they DO sound great... just not great enough "to me" to justify the extra money.

Posted Fri 31 May 13 @ 11:23 pm
ZamoodaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Im running the JBL 615s and love them, and they thump when you run them loud.

This past weekend I did a wedding in Philadelphia at the Curtis Center. The event was held in the atrium, the ceiling has a glass dome and is over ten stories high. all Marble floors. Yep, a sound nightmare.

I ran my my 615s as well as The QSC 12's wit the sub that a I borrowed from a friend. Good lord what an amazing sound! The staff came up to me and (even the MOB and the B/G and said they went to them) said how well we sounded. One of the event managers said we cant get full bands to sound as good. It was good to hear cuz I was really concerned.

There was a nice warm 5 second echo when speaking on the mic, but other than that it worked out well. Im thinking next time I go one more sub will do just fine.

so good choice on the QSC, the only bad I can say is the weight. The 12s are heavier than my 15's

Posted Sun 02 Jun 13 @ 9:14 am
i think these weigh in at 41lbs what do the jbl's weigh?

i really love the look of the jbl's. this was a tough decision. you cant go wrong with any of them. the kw181 sounds insane! thats my next purchase.

Posted Sun 02 Jun 13 @ 10:21 pm
QSC is 41 and the Jbls are 43 lbs. The reason why I bought the Jbls is because, If I can Dj a party of 100 people with two speakers (No Sub) and have very good low end at a high volume, That's a plus for me. The Jbls really bang at high volumes.

Posted Sun 02 Jun 13 @ 10:43 pm
ZamoodaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Caliente I carried both the QSC 12s and JBL 615s, I dont care what the specs say, lol, those QSC's are heavier. I honestly thought the JBL were 38 lbs

Posted Mon 03 Jun 13 @ 3:34 pm
DJJAMMPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I know this speaker wasn't mentioned but, I just love the sound of the yamaha DSR not DXR, like comparing apples to oranges. The Dsr112 is an incredible wooden boxed powered speaker that sounds great. The louder it gets it seems clean, other powered speakers that I have listened to do not sound as good when pushing them. In fact I own a pair of EV zxa5 speakers and the yamahas sound better , clarity and they are as loud as the EV's. The Ev's get too harsh on the high end when turned up. Also the Yamahas are louder thanb the EV's and Qsc's that were mentioned. I am in no way bashing those speakers because they are all very good powered speakers. Its my observation and personal liking of the DSR Yamah speaker,

DJ JAMM

Posted Tue 04 Jun 13 @ 3:25 am
another great speaker, the manufactuers have really stepped it up. ALL of these speakers mentioned are excellent choices it really boils down to personal choice and budget. if i had the money id buy more than one brand for other occasions. THEY ALL have strenghts in certain areas.

Posted Tue 04 Jun 13 @ 6:33 pm
I'm 100% with dj jamm that's what I dj with dsr115 super clean super loud and deep bass with out any subs. Best by far imo

Posted Tue 04 Jun 13 @ 9:25 pm
khaledjHome userMember since 2013
Hi there, Can any help? Suddenly I cant record any of my mixes. 'Record Error, cant download...' despite uninstalling and redownloading virtual dj home addition. Please help!!

Posted Tue 04 Jun 13 @ 10:20 pm
Please start a new thread with your question.
Your question is 100% irrelevant with the topic of this thread.

Thanks!

Posted Wed 05 Jun 13 @ 5:28 am
khaledj wrote :
Hi there, Can any help? Suddenly I cant record any of my mixes. 'Record Error, cant download...' despite uninstalling and redownloading virtual dj home addition. Please help!!

Why do people do this?
I simply can not understand. This had no relevance or bearing on the topic of this thread whatsoever.

Posted Wed 05 Jun 13 @ 8:47 am
djcity wrote :
khaledj wrote :

Why do people do this?
I simply can not understand. This had no relevance or bearing on the topic of this thread whatsoever.

Amen

Posted Wed 05 Jun 13 @ 1:18 pm
lucas569 wrote :
i think these weigh in at 41lbs what do the jbl's weigh?

i really love the look of the jbl's. this was a tough decision. you cant go wrong with any of them. the kw181 sounds insane! thats my next purchase.

I can contest to the kw181 I have two of them I haven't even need to pull the second one out if the box yet. I'm now in the process of getting new tops was going to go with the qsc k12's and just a have a complete match but theirs only been a few gigs that I needed the sub. I currently use the mackie thumps th15a. Great speaker but not enough power. You can't even turn it up halfway and the clip bad... I need more power to go louder.

Posted Thu 06 Jun 13 @ 8:24 am
djtyme209 wrote :
djcity wrote :
khaledj wrote :

Why do people do this?

Amen

lol

Posted Thu 06 Jun 13 @ 10:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)