Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4.1 - lessons learned getting this working, issues still outstanding, and hopefully some help for other users - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm the (slightly frustrated) owner of a shiny new American Audio VMS4.1. I had about five very annoying hours last night after work trying to get it all set up with VJ Pro 7.4 with mismatches between decks and faders, and especially getting the cross fader working. I thought I'd assemble my notes of how I got it working so others don't have to go through the pain.

Set up from scratch (for all four decks). (This is all on Windows by the way).

1) Install ASIO driver and then Virtual DJ LE edition (software here: http://www.adjaudio.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1478&Category=23&txtSearch=vms4.1)

2) On the VMS4.1, on the front-panel set CH1 thru CH4 to USB (not ANALOG), and select 8out (using the 8out/4out switch)

3) Set the crossfader on the front-panel so ASSIGN CFA is 2, and ASSIGN CFB is 3. Make sure the NORMAL/REVERSE switch is set to NORMAL.

4) Plug the VMS4.1 in and turn it on (be sure to plug in the power cord too – without it I found under load it did a semi-crash and reboot)

5) Go to the Start Menu and find ASIO Settings. Make sure the configuration is as follows:
a. Midilog1 = Out 1 / Out 2
b. Midilog2 = Out 3 / Out 4
c. Midilog3 = Out 5 / Out 6
d. Midilog4 = Out 7 / Out 8
e. Master rec = In 1/ In 2

6) Install Virtual DJ Pro and start it

7) Go to Settings, Sound Setup, and select Advanced Config and follow the instructions here (http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VMS4%20/%20VMS4.1.html) i.e.:
a. Deck 1 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 3&4
b. Deck 2 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 5&6
c. Deck 3 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 1&2
d. Deck 4 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 7&8

8) Go to Settings, Mappers, and select the VMS4.1 drop the drop-down. If it’s not present select Rescan for New Devices from the button to the right of the drop-down. (Note that if you start VDJ and it doesn’t respond to inputs from the VMS4.1 select Rescan for New Devices, even if the VMS4.1 is already selected in the drop-down, and it should recognise it and start working).

9) Go to Settings, Options, and set Crossfader to disabled. (This is the bit which wasted me two hours – if you leave this on the software fights with the VMS4.1’s crossfader even though the mapper is set to action fake_crossfader).

10) Go to Settings, Skins, and select the VMS4.1 skin (if you skipped the Virtual DJ LE installation you won’t have this skin)

11) If you prefer the standard VirtualDJ-style skin (like me!) the standard four deck one arranges the faders in 1-2-3-4 order, not 3-1-2-4 layout which matches the hardware. This might leave you messing around trying to remap the channels to match (like I did... for an hour... what a muppet!). Save yourself the pain – pick a skin which matches the VMS4.1’s 3-1-2-4 layout. I’m quite liking the VirtualD7 (4 DECKS SWAP HD) skin http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/13812/VirtualDJ_7_(4_Decks_Swap_HD).html and the VirtualDJ (4 Decks) HD too: http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15391/VirtualDJ_7_(4_Decks)_HD.html. Props to djdad for both of those.

Then, put a long ambient track on, and have a nice cup of tea (or, like I did, a stiff drink to celebrate my victory over the software!)

I still have a handful of issues I’m working through:

Software:

Because the device does the mixing in hardware, rather than within Virtual DJ, some of the knobs on the hardware - specifically Master and the Gain for each channel - don’t animate the knob in the skin. This is because the “fake” prefix for VDJScript is not supported on all of the controls that the controller handles directly. Please Atomix can we have fake_gain and fake_master_volume verbs?

If you unplug/replug in the controller VDJ will either hang and become unresponsive (and you can’t kill it via Windows Task Manager), or it fails to re-recognise the controller – when the latter happens the VMS4.1’s sound card is still working - VDJ happily outputs sound through it - but VDJ stops responding to any inputs from the keys. The only way to fix this is rebooting (just logging out/in, or switching the USB plug to another socket doesn’t make any difference). Not sure if this can be fixed in Virtual DJ? For home use it’s just an inconvenience, but in a gig which would be a massive problem.

Hardware:

I heard that complaints about the old model, the VMS4, that the headphone output was too quiet. I have the opposite problem. With the headphone output turned to the 9’oclock position (about 20% on) the output is earsplittingly loud. At half way it’s distorted, and I suspect if I went above this to max output it’d blow my cans. I’m going to stick a volt meter on the output tonight and see if it’s outputting more than the 2v the user guide claims. Maybe I’ve got a faulty model or maybe they’ve just gone OTT on the output? Either way, I’m going to have to wire in a resistor to save my ears! Anyone else having this problem? I emailed American Audio to ask if this sounds like a fault but 20 hours later they haven't replied yet. Hopefully they'll get back to me... eventually.

Also, a functionality niggle – the hardware crossfader fades two tracks only (the ones selected with the CFA and CFB selectors on the front panel). Ideally I’d like the same functionality as the software has – i.e. you can cross-fade from the left two decks over to the right two decks. The only resolution to this would be to use it purely as a midi-controller and use my PC’s sound card, but that rather defeats the purpose of having hardware mixing so I guess I’ll live with this one. One for the wish list for the next version of the controller from American Audio (if they’re listening).

The hardware shortcut to switch decks (SHIFT + PAUSE) is rubbish. Why isn't this a dedicated button near the jog wheel? I guess I'll remap a button I don't need to do this. Also, I'd have loved a knob to do Loop Shift. I think I'll remap the Sample Select knob for this as I don't use samples. Or maybe try to remap the touch slider - not sure if that's possible yet (and it'd be a good reuse of the sliders which are pretty rubbish IMHO as track selectors - far better to do this with a mouse).

Finally, my right jog wheel is a little wonky – poor quality control from the factory I guess. Probably not a big enough deal to return it, but a little annoying.

Ok. That’s all for now. As I have more thoughts with this I’ll update my post, but I hope the set up tips save other people pain with what is a pretty competitively priced controller for the functionality.

Cheers,

DJ Richard
(or, as my DJ software disliking friends call me, "DJ Sync Button")

Posted Tue 26 Mar 13 @ 11:00 am
Fun with recording...

Next thing I'm trying to set up is the Master Record loopback into VDJ for recording.

According to the VMS4.1 manual (page 18) this should work in 8 out mode, but when I tell Virtual DJ that the Record Loopback is on Input 1&2 when I record I get an extremely quiet recording, and I get a lot of noise being introduced everywhere. I've e-mailed American Audio to see what they say...

Headphone query answered...

Meanwhile, American Audio say my headphone problems are because my cans have a very low impedance and this is normal. I stuck a volt meter on the output and it stays below 1 volt so that correlates with what they're saying. So I've ordered a headphone resistor dongle to go between the controller and my headphones off eBay!

More tips learned along the way.

If you lose connection between VirtualDJ and the controller, provided VirtualDJ doesn't crash and hang, close down VDJ, power cycle the controller, and then open the ASIO settings. That should result in Windows seeing the controller again. Then reopen VDJ, go to Settings, Mappers, and select Rescan for new devices. Beats a reboot. But if VDJ crashes because the controller was disconnected all bets are off. You can't even End Task it - you have to reboot. Not good news if you're half way through your set! ;-)

Posted Wed 27 Mar 13 @ 1:22 pm
A breakthrough on recording without mucking around with a cable and another soundcard...

How to record your mix in Virtual DJ from your VMS4.1 without a cable going into your PC's line IN:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open the ASIO driver, and check that you have the following settings...

Mode 8 in - 2 out (if not, change the 8 out/4 out switch to 8 out on your controller)
Midilog 1 = Out 1/Out 2
Midilog 2 = Out 3/Out 4
Midilog 3 = Out 5/Out 6
Midlog 4 = Out 7/Out 8
Master rec = In 1/In 2
ASIO Buffer Length = 40ms (any lower and I got distortion and noise - this might be a CPU speed thing or just a 'feature' of the driver)

In VDJ, Settings | Sound Setup | Advanced Config:

Deck 1 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 3&4
Deck 2 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 5&6
Deck 3 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 1&2
Deck 4 = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Output 7&8
Record Loopback = ADJ ASIO (ASIO) = Input 1 & 2

Then go to record and record your mix and what VDJ records should be the output from the analogue mixer, NOT what's been processed internally in VDJ before it was sent to the mixer (i.e. your faders will all work!)

Only issues I'm having is the recording is quite a lot quieter than the original (even if I have Master all the way up while I'm recording), but other than that it seems to work great.

Hope that helps some of you out there!

Posted Wed 27 Mar 13 @ 2:46 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Did u manage to record the MIC as well, with the above Sound Setup ?

Posted Wed 27 Mar 13 @ 5:06 pm
Hi djdad. I just gave this a try and it worked fine with both mike inputs.

I don't have a mike so I plugged my headphones into the mike socket to try this so the quality was crappy so I can't attest to what the quality is like with a proper mike.

The only issue with this overall is that volume is a little low - no where near as good as if I was recording from internally within VDJ. I'm playing with Audacity to see if I can record it that way (as Audacity gives me control over gain and also shows me the levels during the recording... that's be a nice enhancement for VDJ) but I can't get it to recognise ASIO inputs. I'm going to post to their forums when I get a chance and see if anyone knows if this can be done.

BTW, I couldn't figure out how to update your wiki page with what I've documented here (I guess only Atomix staff can do that!)? Could you update the wiki page yourself when you get a moment?

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 5:57 am
I have a VMS4 here, and will do another round of tests. However i ve done this in the past, and several times the recording had no good results. We are not going to update the wiki page , unless we are 100% certain that all the above provide the expected results for our users.
Will post my findings soon.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 9:49 am
Fair enough. Maybe it's something they've fixed in the VMS4.1 but not the VMS4. Interesting the ASIO driver on the CD (v1.21) has "input fix" within its filename! When I contacted American Audio about this, before I figured it out I pointed out that the manual and the specs say this is possible but all they did was give me the URL to the Virtual DJ page which talks about feeding an external mixer into your sound card's line in!

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 11:39 am
It was always possible. I ve done that in the past, but several users reported issues on both PC and Mac side, that is actually the reason we always suggest the traditional way when recording with an external mixer (Booth output to LineIn/MIc of computer)

Anyways, i did another round of tests (with the old VMS4 and Win7) and i can confirm that all the above work. The recording results are also good with MIC as well. Tried both ways , with and without the external AC adapter.

We will have to wait for feedback from other users though (from both PC and Mac side) prior updating our wiki. I will add this link to the wiki though so that users may post here their findings.

Thank you for reporting all the above.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 12:17 pm
I have an original VMS4 and can test if you need another opinion...

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 12:45 pm
Yes, that would be nice, thank you.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 1:24 pm
OK I have just made a test recording by using the VDJ loopback option in advanced config with my mark one VMS4 and it does record the mic. In fact with low latency it still records the mic clearly even when the music MP3s are crackling.

I managed to get latency down to 6ms without crackling.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 2:09 pm
Where's that low latency setting so I can give it a try? Did it improve the overall volume of the recording as well (or is it still quieter than the original recording or doing it natively within VDJ)?

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 5:25 pm
I just messed around with adjusting latency settings in VDJ and in the VMS4 ASIO driver window.

At first I was getting crackling at 6ms, but after I'd moved it up higher and tried various VDJ settings, I moved the slider back down to 6ms and it was OK.

The recording was still quiet.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 5:29 pm
Ah. Ok. I only get rid of the crackling at the maximum 40ms setting but that might be because my PC is relatively old and slow (even though the VDJ CPU meter never maxes out), or could be a difference between the VMS 4 and 4.1.

I tried doing the recording using a version of Audacity compiled for use with the ASIO drivers but it seems that the VMS's ASIO drivers doesn't take very kindly to two pieces of software accessing it at the same time and causes VDJ to crash. Sounds like this is as good as we're going to get.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 5:49 pm
the real question is, now that you got it figured out (which I agree could have been explained better in the documentation or at least a flippin' video! (w/doubles preferred) on how to set it up) are you happy with it? because I love mine.

but I do agree with you on your complaints, and let me know your findings on new mappings for switching things around. I actually DON'T use 4 tables, I only use 2, and I still use the default LE skin, I think it looks ok and it matches the hardware. few things I noticed about the hardware/software, there isn't a knob to control the filter or key, maybe I can remap something to those, maybe hold shift then turn another knob?

another complaint I agree with is the headphone output, its louder than all hell, I actually removed the fake_ from my master output mapping and it seemed to help a lot, before I was just turning it down in the software everytime I booted THEN adjusted it on the vms 4.1

I also noticed my right jog wheel seems slightly off kilter, I think that's the word im looking for, balance, whatever its wobbly. but not enough for me to be super pissed about.

another question, am I the only one that used the rubber side covers? I leave mine on because I notice I don't have to press any buttons to switch out of scratch mode, I just make sure im touching the rubber part and I can use it to beat match manually. I actually thought about taking the jogs off and taping them off and spraying plasti-dip on the outer edges instead of using the rubber rings, I think I have some clear left, god I love that crap, so many uses for it.

I think my only complaint is I wish the job wheels were larger, but my friend has a ns6 and his entire controller is just too big and heavy, its nice, don't get me wrong, but the vms4.1 suits my style a little bit better and I like having the 4 channel input as I also run ableton off another laptop in my sets

-cheers

Posted Fri 29 Mar 13 @ 12:15 am
After all the hassle of getting it working as a hardware mixer I'm finding a bit of crackle and the low volume on the recording loopback a bit of an annoyance so I'm trying it now as a midi controller so I can record internally with VDJ without losing volume or introducing noise which is enivitable with a sound card's line in.

I just downloaded the "American Audio VMS4 with PC or other soundcard" controller mapping (http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/14039/American_Audio_VMS4_with_PC_or_other_soundcard.html) and added...

Key MASTER = Action master_volume
Key CH1_GAIN = deck 3 gain
Key CH2_GAIN = deck 1 gain
Key CH3_GAIN = deck 2 gain
Key CH4_GAIN = deck 4 gain

To keep the VU meters working on device I used this Sound Config:

Master / <Select your PC's sound card here> / Output 1&2
Headphones / <Select your PC's other sound card here> / Output 1&2
Deck 1 / ADJ ASIO (ASIO) / Output 3&4
Deck 2 / ADJ ASIO (ASIO) / Output 5&6
Deck 3 / ADJ ASIO (ASIO) / Output 1&2
Deck 4 / ADJ ASIO (ASIO) / Output 7&8

Now I can record my mix without losing any volume or quality as it all stays internally within VDJ.

I did have some problems getting the two mapping files to co-exist.

First off, the "PC or other sound card" version of the mapping has exactly the same name as the standard mapping. I edited the XML file (in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\VirtualDJ\Mappers) and renamed it so it was called "American Audio VMS4 PC SOUND". But even though I then explicitly picked this mapping from the drop-down list it was still using the regular mapping's settings with the fake faders. In the end I deleted the other mapping from my PC and it's now working happily although it's a shame I have to move files around to switch between them. Hopefully something that'll be better in VDJ8 (or I'm doing something stupid).

@secretseven: So, other than the pain of all of this I like the controller from the perspective of its user interface (wonky jog wheel not withstanding) and you can't argue about its price. In the default mapping I found that SHIFT + EFFECT CONTROL PARAMETER does filtering, although it's easy enough to remap in VDJ Pro. I'm also using the rubber wheels. It seems like a bit of a "hack" to stop the sides being touch sensitive but it does the job. But give me a Pioneer CDJ jog wheel any day, but the VMS4.1 is hardly being sold at CDJ prices!

Posted Fri 29 Mar 13 @ 1:30 pm
I raised a support call with American Audio about the low volume of the loopback from the ASIO drivers and, after a couple of emails where they didn't seem to realise it even had this feature, their final word was the following:

"I am sorry to say that there's no option to adjustment the sound quality in the ASIO settings other than latency. You can adjust the latency, but it won't affect the sound output volume. Also there are no plans to change the firmware on the VMS4.1.".

Posted Wed 03 Apr 13 @ 10:45 am
that's strange, I've heard nothing but good things about their tech support. seems like they pretty much told you "tough" and as I am an owner of this product it puts a bad taste in my mouth....

Posted Wed 03 Apr 13 @ 10:50 pm
ok I got one with the vms4.1

so here's what im wanting to do, I want to use 4 decks but I want 1&3 to work through midi 2 on mixer, then 2&4 through midi 3 on mixer. what im wanting to do is be able to swap the decks back and forth as I use tracks just for clips and cues, but still have full tracks playing. but I also have analog inputs on channels 1&4 on the mixer, and i'd like to keep these this way. if it were possible to have software decks 3&4 still run through midi 1&4 on the mixer, that would be fine as well.

cheers

Posted Thu 04 Apr 13 @ 9:51 pm
i got it, so what i did was flip the switch to 8 out, left midi 1 and 4 at analog, then had to do advance config and set 1&3 to 5&6 out, and 2&4 to 7&8 out. something along those lines, it was trial and error, but im able to have 4 deck control (somewhat) with still having my analog inputs. i know its not supposed to be this way so i have to use the software to control the eqs for 3 and 4, i guess i could remap them or something. but it works for what i was wanting, just to quick swap tracks for mp3s ive created for samples and cues/sounds.

Posted Sat 06 Apr 13 @ 8:29 am
43%