Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Color waveform is taking too much CPU, even without play. - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

LudekPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Color waveform is taking too much CPU, even without play.

Please look at this video: http://www.ludekbudin.cz/files/video.3gp

My notebook: Lenovo G530, dual core-CPU Intel T4200 @ 2GHz, 3GB RAM. Windows XP pro 32bit SP3

Where is the problem?

Posted Fri 19 Oct 12 @ 12:12 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Can you test again with the default interface?

Posted Fri 19 Oct 12 @ 2:38 pm
Her is the video in better quality with default skin VirtualDJ 7 (2 decks) 1280x768 (not maximized):

http://www.ludekbudin.cz/files/video.mp4

Color waveforms disabled - CPU 0-2%
Color waveforms enabled - CPU 15-20%

Without play, only loaded songs.

Posted Fri 19 Oct 12 @ 4:57 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
What video card does your machine have? Up to date drivers?

Posted Fri 19 Oct 12 @ 8:38 pm
Graphic card - Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MH.
Up to date Graphic driver - Yes, (released 18 Nov 2008 and latest) and working without any problem.

Posted Fri 19 Oct 12 @ 9:05 pm
No answer how to resolve my issue...

Does this mean that it is now a known bug and you are working on the patch?

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 11:55 am
I have the same experience.
It is strange that when playing the CPU load drops to 0-3%.

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 5:21 pm
I'm guessing its not a problem at all. The system is trying to convert the already loaded waveform but it can't because it takes on the color when its first loaded. If you enable the waveform and reload the decks your cpu should be normal

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 5:40 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
That's what u get when u demand something like this and doesn't get tested b4 it goes out to the public... if it's a bug, u just have to deal with it until it gets fixed.
This is not directed at u ludek
Panos

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 8:36 pm
A different bug report for the color waveform:
Color waveforms are not resized after song load like original waveforms.

EDIT: I am not sure if this problem affects songs with Automix turned off, I've only tested with Automix on.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Turn on colored waveforms.
2. Choose a track which IS NOT in VirtualDJ's database (has not been played and shows up with the yellow question mark).
3. Ensure the selected track is VBR and not CBR.
4. Start any song playing, put the selected song in playlist, and turn on Automix.
5. You should notice the problem in the waveform display of the cued up song (the one in the playlist).

You should notice that the behavior of the above three steps with colored waveforms on is different from when they are off. When off, VirtualDJ resizes the waveform display once it has finished loaded the song and knows the correct length. Colored waveforms are not resized, and this results in a black gap at the end of the song (if the song is shorter than VDJ initially thought).

Attached are two screenshots of this incorrect behavior. The next song in automix is completely loaded in both screenshots (even though it looks like I took the snap halfway through the load). If you look closely at the full resolution one (linked), you can clearly see black waveform on dark gray background in the part that looks not loaded.

Full size screenshot at http://snag.gy/pGxcy.jpg

Posted Sat 27 Oct 12 @ 5:39 pm
Further information:
6. Wait for song to load fully.
7. Toggle Automix off then on again.
8. Waveform should display properly.

Also:
This bug does affect songs with Automix turned off.
1. Load an unknown (yellow) song that is VBR into a deck.
2. Waveform will not display properly.
3. Load same song onto same deck.
4. Waveform does display properly this time.

Posted Sat 03 Nov 12 @ 9:40 pm
High CPU usage for colored scratchWave is still present in VDJ 7.3. If you stopped song just at beginning, or very close to end, there is 12-25 % CPU usage. But no during play or stopped somewhere else:

http://www.ludekbudin.cz/files/video2.3gp

Posted Sun 11 Nov 12 @ 9:43 pm
Updated: Not only at beginning or end of the song, but higher CPU is too around muted or very silent part of song:

http://www.ludekbudin.cz/files/video3.3gp

Paused very close to the end of of the song (under 1 sec) = 25% of my Quad-core Intel i5 2.67 GHz CPU (one core is working almost at 100 %) System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit SP1 full patched, 3 GB RAM.

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 3:57 am
No such problem on my PC. I'm getting CPU of around 1% or 2% even when paused on quiet sections.

I think it must be related to your graphics card.

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 5:04 am
This happen only with some songs, not every time. Tested on two computers - Win XP notebook and WIN 7 PC - the same problem.

If we have 0-1% of CPU with playing song, why is there sometimes 12-25% of CPU with paused song?

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 5:19 am
OK, I can get it to reach 20% if I find songs that have a lot of colour variation and I turn on the scratch waveform displays.

With just the normal horizontal (zoomed out) waveforms, the CPU is low, but when the vertical scratch coloured ones are on (they're more "zoomed in") then CPU climbs.

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 5:37 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
As you said, it's clearly linked to silent part in a song. We are still looking at it.

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 6:52 am
You forgot to fix this error? Reported since version 7.2 and now in 7.4 is still present....

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 6:39 am
You could...

a) turn off scratch waves

b) turn off coloured waves

Surely you can DJ without them?

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 12:57 pm
I love the great attitude of appreciation adopted by some on this forum. These features were originally to be part of V8. So many users whined about the wait that Atomix was kind enough to bust their humps and start "leaking" V8 features to us in the 7.X release series. When they first released the colored wave forms this was a known issue and a reason was given at that time. It works for some folks now and for others is does not. Those folks will have to wait for a fix or V8, which ever comes first. Regardless, some respect should be shown to a staff that works hard and strives to provide an excellent product and excellent service. Fortunately I'm not running this show, I'd tell many of ya to jump off.

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 2:20 pm
63%