Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How do I use VDJ with Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk2?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So I've been using CD's to DJ for the past year on the CDJ's but it's really time consuming so I was wondering how do I connect my laptop (all my music is on it) to the Pioneer CDJ 1000mk2 and use the CDJ's to control VDJ.

Gear I use: 2x Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk2
1x Allen & Heath Xone:92 6 Channel Club/DJ mixer
Virtual DJ Pro

I read somewhere I might need timecode CD's but I don't know what they are or how to use them or even if I actually need them to do what I want to do. If so, please explain them to me without links to other pages. I've read most pages on them and would prefer a basic, noob explanation. Also, if I need specific cables or wires links to them would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Posted Sat 15 Sep 12 @ 9:35 am
Yes you could use timecode CDs in the CDJ-1000s to play music from VDJ.

You'll need a suitable sound card though, as you need to send the audio from both the CDJs (the timecode signal) into VDJ, and then the audio from both VDJ decks (the actual music) back out again to the mixer. So the sound card will need two stereo inputs and two stereo outputs as a minimum.

The timecode is just a control signal (sounds like a steady tone - a beep) that allows the tracks in VDJ to be "remote controlled" by the CDJs.

The limitation though is that you will only have very basic control of the software.

Using a USB controller will give you more options.

Posted Sat 15 Sep 12 @ 11:18 am

Posted Sat 15 Sep 12 @ 1:19 pm
GSFonzyPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'm using a RMX mixer with two c314's and loving it! It's the best of both worlds!

Posted Sun 09 Dec 12 @ 10:35 pm
Or you can swap your CDJ-1000MK2 for the CDJ-900/400s, I believe those double as USB MIDI controllers then you won't need the complexity of the timecode hardware.

Posted Tue 11 Dec 12 @ 12:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)