Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Still getting corrupt data base in start

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ok ever since i switched to 7 pro i have been getting an annoying recurring problem. it doesn't happen every time i start VDJ but it happens more than it doesn't. i use the same machine for djing and never really plug the hd into another machine other than my djing laptop.

i start vdj and it tells me the hd is corrupt. i have old versions of my database saved because this keeps happeninig. if i reinstall an old database file i starts up no problems. i have done everything suggested before: scan disk, check disk defrag. none of them showed any problems with the drive.

i know i have seen this problem before on here, has anyone solved it?

Posted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 8:42 am
Go to Config then choose the browser tab. Select the external drive that you are using from the dropdown menu in the bottom of the window, then click Check, then Clean, then Fix in that order. This will clean up the database file and the error should go away.

Posted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 9:09 am
Have you used the CHECK and FIX options in VirtualDJ? (CONFIG -> Browser, choose the external drive in the drop-down list.)

Even if it doesn't find any problems, still click on FIX anyway. Also, try clicking CLEAN to remove old entries from the database for files that no-longer exist, have been renamed, etc.

Also, make sure that the drive has finished writing data before disconnecting it. Use the icon on the Windows taskbar to safely eject the USB drive before disconnecting it and see if that helps (Normally this shouldn't be necessary.)

Posted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 9:09 am
i have done ALL of this multiple times nothing works. it might work one or two times but it will always end up corrupt.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 12 @ 4:11 pm
Can you try something?
Restore a database that's working fine and disable id3 tag comments.
See if that helps. If it does report back here to tell you how to fix this permanently!

Posted Wed 25 Apr 12 @ 5:04 pm
so to be clear i should wait till i get another corrupt data base message and use a data file that i saved (i do often because of this problem) that is working after restart then disable id3 comment?

Posted Wed 25 Apr 12 @ 5:08 pm
Just disable id3 comments and check if your database still gets corrupted every now and then...

Posted Wed 25 Apr 12 @ 5:14 pm
ok will do. just curious is it something with characters or letters that causes the crash or just the fact the comments are enabled?

Posted Wed 25 Apr 12 @ 5:16 pm
No, the fact that your comments are enabled is not the cool print here. However there's a chance that some chars that are inside your comments may be the reason that your database gets corrupted so often.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 4:16 am
ok great. i will disable and tyr this weekend and report back. thanks again for the help.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 4:30 am
i had this problem 3 to 4 time when my app crashed due to unknown reason i used to get fatal error while loading database file recover/shutdown after that i went to config>browser>database>fix

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it was working fine try this out it might fix your problem

Posted Sun 29 Apr 12 @ 10:23 am
ok so i have it set to not read id3 tag comments since the day you suggested it. i went 2 times with no problems then last night BAMMMMM! corrupt database. i reinstalled my newest data file i had saved. i will have to see if it happens again now that i have new file in and comments disable.

as for the "fix" method read my posts i have done all of your typical clean or fix and scan disk etc. unlike a lot fo others i read manuals and research before i post. but i do thank you for the suggestion, just won't solve the problem i am having.

Posted Sun 29 Apr 12 @ 10:36 am
2dresqPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I unfortunately have this same exact problem - the VDJ database on my external drive keeps getting corrupted for no apparent reason. It's very annoying since even though I try to save a copy of the database as I go, I will usually lose a lot of cue points when I restore the database from a previous copy.

I will try disabling ID3 comments as suggested but quick question:
my issue started when the database file went over 20 Megs. Now the file is at 24 Megs (It's a large drive with lots of music) and requires me to do a backup every time I play new material. Could the issue be tied to the size of the VDJ database? I have 2 other smaller databases on the PC and never have issues with those. Is there a limit to the size of the database file?

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 11:34 pm
I don't think it's the size. My VDJ 7 database is 29MB and my VDJ 8 database is 50MB.

I've no idea why the 8 DB is so much bigger. It was created from the 7 DB.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 4:03 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
V8 database holds a lot more informations. All the POIs are stored in it.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 4:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)