Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mixed in Key - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I have a question about this tool...

After seeing this in another topic I googled it and looked around on their site. It seems a wonderful tool, but I could be wrong :)
I was wondering if it's worth the money, and if it does a good job?
I've read about it, but would like to have some thoughts of my fellow dj's.
Please let me know your experiences and give me some feedback...

Thanx in advance...

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 4:58 am
I bought and used it before it became built in to VDJ, no need for it now.

VDJ has it built in all you need to do is right click on the top of the columns in the browser and enable either KEY or KEY(NUMERIC) column. Key(Numeric) is the Camelot number. Its created when a file is analysed.

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 5:20 am
DjCaroPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You have Key detection in Vdj ... I think you don't need it .

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 5:21 am
No need to buy it,

just check your VDJ-Browser ;o)

[edit): not fast enough :o(

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 5:22 am
Agreed.
If you're looking for something else/different, there's a free solution: Check >>THIS<<

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 12:42 pm
I think that only works on a MAC, atleast the last time I checked it out it did. The guy who made it is always on the Serato forums and he was aware it wouldn't work on a pc, could have changed though I guess...

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 1:13 pm
It's getting there....
"an open-source key detection program for Mac and (in beta) for Windows too."
And I had to try: Installed the program, DL'ed a song from youtube, converted it to MP4 (just to see it recognized it, and it did), and had it analyzed by VDJ (Am) and KeyFinder (Dm)....

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 1:35 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

VDJ is pretty accurate but not as accurate as MIK5 in my experience, therfore I use both.

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 1:56 pm
The big flaw with the VDJ key detection is the fact that it almost completely ignores major keys.

If you go by VDJ key results alone, you'd think that every song ever written was in a minor key, and the major scales didn't exist!

MIK is much more sensible, and although it's still not totally accurate it's a lot better than VDJ at getting it right.

The latest version can also show you if/when a song contains a key change (although you do have to load the song into the MIK player).

So in summary, the VDJ detection will get you started but if you want more accurate results go with MIK.

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 3:29 pm
Thank you for all your answers so far..

I already knew that VDJ has key recognition, I already use it there, but it was after reading it in another topic, that i started thinking about other possibilities... In "the old days" i had to sing along with the song to get the right key (not that I ever did that, it would have sounded horrible)
So no key recognition back then, now in the new digitale age, there are a lot of possibilities and i was just wondering what everybody else thinks about it ;)

Martin FourS wrote :
If you're looking for something else/different, there's a free solution: Check >>THIS<<

I will give that a try Martin ;)

I also read something in the other topic conserning this matter that i'm gonna try....
So thank you Synthet1c ;)

Posted Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 4:53 pm
I know this is an old thread but I am curious if anyone heard Virtual DJ 8 (VDJ8) feature updates in regard to Key detection. I'm using Rapid Evolution v.3 currently for Key detection (it's free but only does 1,000 tracks at a time and it's very slow) and I use MixMeister for BPM. I let VDJ detect Key/BPM separately bc I think it's faster than batching (I have hundreds and hundreds of folders which makes batching a pain). I've tried the DB Managers but they are far from complete solutions.

Posted Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 4:31 pm

Posted Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 5:12 pm
Mixed In Key version 6 is now out, and they claim that the key detection is 6 times better than before.

Considering it was already more accurate than VDJ detection, this new version must be miles ahead!

Posted Sat 21 Dec 13 @ 7:23 am
Mixing in key sounds sounds good and all...but some djs don't even beatmatch anymore. Best to use your ears and judgement.

Posted Sat 21 Dec 13 @ 11:55 pm
piton91PRO InfinityMember since 2014
if virtual dj recognizes the key is mik really neccesary?

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 12:29 pm

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 12:48 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I use both MIK and Platinum Notes and I am very happy with the results, thats becauce I use other programs than vdj aswelll.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 12:51 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
It would be nice if VDJ supported the Grouping field and Initial Key field in the browser so we don't need workarounds every time we add songs. That would literally save hours of my life every month.

I feel MIK is far more accurate and is a purpose built tool. So I choose to use it and 6 really did improve the accuracy from 5 quite a bit. Highly recommended!

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 1:28 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I have been procrastinating to upgrade, lol.
Because I know if I do, I will have to re-scan all my music/video files of about 55,000.

Obviously, the $$ is not the issue. And besides, I am already satisfied even with the version 5 results.

But this is something I will do soon for sure before the busy summer wedding season!

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 1:44 pm
jabo65PRO InfinityMember since 2014
Can I use Mixed in Key with VDJ8? Will it auto set cue points and have them transfer/translate into VDJ?

Posted Sat 17 Feb 18 @ 1:19 am
91%