Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Pioneer DJ Ergo Horrible Audio Quality [SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I spent a lot of time with tech support from both Virtual DJ and Pioneer and can not pinpoint the problem.

Audio quality sounds like bad time stretching and not pure. With factory settings (10ms latency buffer and 24-bit sound) it pops and clicks. The only thing I could do that made a difference was to turn off time stretching all together. But that's not a fix... Especially when I have to set everything else to the lowest setting possible.

Here a list of things I Tried:

-Removed Older non-related Asio Drivers
-Increased Buffer size (All The Way)
-Change Bit Depth to 16 bit
-followed step by step setup instructions outlined on Pioneers site
-Upgraded firmware
-Upgraded Software (b380)
-Tested on multiple computers
-Use Latency Checker (As described by other having audio problems)
-Tried every type of audio setup on Virtual DJ
Some made a small difference, others made it worse

Description of Laptop:
It is a HP NK148AV (HDX18). This beast is a FULL desktop replacement... 2.6 Dual core Pentium Gt130 (1GB) Video Card 4GB DDR3 Memory, back-lit full keyboard, 18.4in screen, two 720GB 72000 rpm hard drives.

I am currently able to run all of the following simultaneously without a single stutter or glitch (Using Hercules DeeJay Trim 4&6:
-2 Full Screen HD Videos
-1 SD Video (Virtual DJ Video Mix) On second video out.
-Freestyler DMX Light Show
-Surf the internet with over 10 windows open

I'm only boasting on how powerful my Laptop PC is so that it is understood this is 100% NOT the issue.

In fact, If the Hercules DeeJay 4&6Trim is plugged in and then plug I connect the ergo, the DeeJay Trim starts to have the same exact problems as the ergo. Once I unplug the ergo, Hercules DeeJay trim is rock solid again.

Can ANYONE please confirm the audio quality of ERGO?
If you are unsure, try listening to an acapella. While listening, turn the time stretching (Master tempo) on and off. You shouldn't be able to hear a difference. If you do hear a difference, you are probably suffering from the same thing I am and didn't even notice.

The above should be a fair test, seeing that the Hercules unit costs three times less and can perform this task with ease.

Please help. I really don't want to mess around with this any longer and tech support isn't helping at all.
It's so frustrating that I'd rather just ship the ergo back. Unfortunately, due to software, this is not an option.

Thank you to DJ Pulse and Bob at tech support. You both tried hard and I appreciate that. Can anyone else verify?

Posted Sat 10 Dec 11 @ 11:57 am
PS:
Even though this is hardware, I posted in software section because it appears to be Virtual Dj software related... If incorrect, feel free to move conversation to appropriate area.... Thank You

Posted Sat 10 Dec 11 @ 12:20 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
What did DPC Latency Checker showed ? All green bars or some yellow and red too ?

Can you please try to disable Wifi, Bluetooth and Web camera and Battery ACPI Manager from Device Manager and see if that helps your sound issues ?

About the sound setup.... please keep this one ..
Inputs ..None (even if you can put mic, leave that to none for now)
Outputs..Headphones
SOund card ..ASIO ...Pioneer (DDJ Ergo)

Set Master Tempo to Fast (Config->Performances)

See also this guide in case you missed a few settings for best computer performance. http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Common%20PC%20Performance%20Issues.html

Side Note.
I ve seen beasts running Virtualdj with 70-80% cpu usage, sound skips, freezes etc, and seen also a simple Dual Core with 2GB Ram running Virtualdj at 5-10% cpu, crystal sound and perfect video output to a projector ! Its not how strong your computer is. Its how its well optimized for specific applications.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 11 @ 2:12 pm
Thanks for jumping in,

Computer is well optimized. Web cam, Wifi, blutetooth have always been disabled.
I'm aware that computers need to be optimized. I was making a point that mine was already done.
DPC shows green across the board. Pretty flat at 140. Even when VDJ is running.

These settings you recommended were all ready tried. It makes the audio quality go from "Horrible" to "Just not good"
Disabling stretching clears the problem up. But, we need it enabled.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 11 @ 8:52 pm
OMG,

I installed ERGO on a new "Virgin" pc. To my surprise.... Problems were not there.
So I went back to laptop and uninstalled and re-installed. Problems still exist.
But then, on the laptop, I went to settings / info and enabled "reset to factory settings"

problem is nearly fixed...
The sound is about 99% BETTER.
I can occasionally hear tiny pops / clicks but isn't too terribly bad.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 11 @ 12:32 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Its good to know your problems are resolved now.

Posted Tue 13 Dec 11 @ 11:12 am
I wouldn't say it's Solved, but very close. .
Though the audio doesn't pop and crackle as much, the overall purity isn't great
Audio always sounds likes it's being stretched. even when Tempo is at 0% This is not an issue with other audio cards.

Posted Tue 13 Dec 11 @ 3:20 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
JameySewell wrote :
I wouldn't say it's Solved, but very close. .
Though the audio doesn't pop and crackle as much, the overall purity isn't great
Audio always sounds likes it's being stretched. even when Tempo is at 0% This is not an issue with other audio cards.

With VDJ 7 and depending on the sound card I used if I set Master Tempo to Fast Stretching it would do what you describe.
I changed and fought with every other setting till finally set it to Advanced Stretching. Pitch sounded right and quality of the sound was so much better. The issue was with VDJ 6 and below, I could never get the higher/more cpu intensive settings to work. From that point I tried the basic settings 1st got it to work then when "up" on all the settings.

thanks,
David (DJ Kavika)

Posted Thu 15 Dec 11 @ 4:39 pm
Advanced stretching in older versions of the software had very high system requirements.

The new advanced algorithm in VirtualDJ v7 has much lower requirements and should work well on most computers that meet or exceed the recommended requirements for running VirtualDJ: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/index.html

Posted Fri 16 Dec 11 @ 7:06 am
They Problem I have is only with Pioneer Ergo, Not with PC. As I stated, All settings were set to max using DJ Trim and quality of audio was sounded perfect.

In my opinion, If I can't max out setting with Ergo, it is clearly not a superior product and not quite deserving of the "Pioneer" name brand.
I've used many pioneer products and the sound quality was vastly superior than that of the Ergo. Either the Ergo sound card is inferior, or Virtual DJ is not quite ready.

With respect, which am I to believe?

Posted Mon 19 Dec 11 @ 11:42 pm
I'm with you.... It could be the data load with pre cues and databases preloads,... I'd reinstalled The program and erase database, and some clicks, solved parcial with ultra latency.... But I think that the pro versions must be prepared to run correctly with the minimum requirements as it's shown on the pioneer ergo box,... Wasted 500 e. + pro version of Vdj, must be quality guaranteed....!

Perhaps... We'll recieve an update to optimize the controller... Cause it's recently sold,... Or Vdj. takes notice with this product incident

Posted Thu 23 Feb 12 @ 10:05 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
SAME audio pops and short dropouts when playing videos using the WEGO and MEP7000 on the same laptop AND same thing on a desktop only using WEGO (mep7000) has not been connected to this desktop at the club.

Both computers running XP SP3.

This leads me to believe it is a PIONEER ASIO driver issue at least on XP machines.

I have ZERO pops clicks when using the clubs Denon 4500 ASIO driver and M Audio Fast Track Pro.

I too have increased buffer to the max and changed the kernel from 3-4...makes no difference.

This issue was a HUGE letdown for me when i dropped cash for the MEP-7000 only to realize i could not mix videos because of the audio pops.

Yes i too had everything disabled that was not needed...made no difference.

Come on Pioneer cerrtainly we arent rhe only ones having this issue.

Posted Tue 09 Oct 12 @ 9:21 pm
DDJ-ERGO here

Absolutely no glitches, errors, pops or anything! EXCEPT when I use advanced settings and output to another soundcard as well.

There must be something wrong in the OP's settings.

Posted Thu 18 Oct 12 @ 4:28 pm
FLXDJPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Hi..

I know i'm late here. But I've had the same problem for a really long time. Nothing worked, other than installing VDJ on a new machine.
Never worked when i re-installed on my laptop. I've tried all the solutions you have.

THIS is what worked for me:

See, what I did not notice, was the driver version.
The one I installed, is called MEP-7000[SEP-C1]_1.008.exe - Witch is an older version (funny enough)
Then i installed - BY ACCEDENT, because it was just laying around from somewhere :) - THIS version MEP-7000[SEP-C1]_1.100_2.

Now everything is back to where it was before. NO crackling, NO beatskipping, NO clicking etc.
Everything is perfect again.

Just thought I would share it with you. Might not help, but it did it for me :)

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 2:50 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think my issue of audio pops using the Wego is solved....a $40 Belkin powered USB hub. Last night at the club I plugged into the powered hub...no sound issues when mixing videos. Today went to best buy to get a hub, tested the Belkin for a bit over 2 hours this evening on my laptop...no audio issues!

If you're having audio issues with your Pioneer product try a powered (the kind plugged into an electrical outlet) usb hub. The Belkin I picked up has 7 ports. The controller was the only device plugged into it.

Posted Wed 24 Oct 12 @ 11:01 pm
bowmaLE userMember since 2011
I have always had this problem with my ergo running on my macbook, I have re installed software and just basically put up with it for over a year.

I never had these pops and clicks on my crappy netbook running xp, so why should I have them on an expensive macbook running the same software, so annoying!

Posted Fri 15 Feb 13 @ 12:59 pm

Posted Sat 16 Feb 13 @ 2:07 pm
if you guys only knew the nightmares ive gone through with ergo and pro7...............................................................................

Posted Mon 18 Feb 13 @ 8:41 pm
I think you guys keep forgetting to take the laptop ouf of power economy/balanced mode and into high performance. Depending on how aggressive the factory power profile for your laptop, the USB ports may be in low power state by default. Not to mention all the factory installed crap all new laptops come with.

If you know how to download & install drivers it is highly recommended your format your new laptops and only load the base OS and essential drivers and software.

Another possible issue is that yout laptop BIOS may also have restrictions on the USB ports, if you know how, go in there and make sure there are no power management restrictions there and make sure all USB ports are enabled and set to HiSpeed/or USB 2.0/3.0

Last, don't forget you could very well have a bad USB cable...

Posted Wed 20 Feb 13 @ 12:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)