Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: 8X4 markers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
In the CBG it would be nice to be able to mark the the first fat mark of every 8 measures a different color. Just so we can concentrate on requests more than counting beats. I just have a busy ("needy") night with one group and would like to polish up my mixes. This would keep me from setting more cue points and relying on cue counters to assist me with the mix.

Example:

1 2 3 4 - 2 2 3 4 - 3 2 3 4 - 4 2 3 4 - 5 2 3 4 - 6 2 3 4 - 7 2 3 4 - 8 2 3 4

The only #1 listed above could be a White fat mark, where all the rest of the bold numbers could be just the normal deck color fat mark, until it reapeats back to 1.

The way to set this would be to use the Tap button to set the fat mark on the down beat (if centered on the wave form play line). Accept when you hit the Tap button, that would be the first down beat of the 8 measures and VDJ could count it out for you from there.

Aligning the White marks with the next song could help anticipate the cycles of each song. This could also be a great mark to anticipate the end of a corus, so you can catch a better loop and not chop the corus. I think this could be fairly easy to implement and really help many DJs concentrate on the crowd more, while imporving our mix.

Itch just counts all the first of 4 beats, which, unless you are really good at math does not really help when you are staring at #116, 1st of 4 near the end of the song.

I know that using the CBG & waveform puts me in a class of "not a real DJ". But I do know how to use my ears and know music structures of songs. That should put me in the right class, despite using new technology. So all you old school guys who will bash this. I realize you have tallent, I am not useless without my screen either. I would just like to polish up my show and increase my inteactiveness with the crowd. I feel this would be far more useful than a "frequency colored" waveform.

Posted Tue 06 Dec 11 @ 5:05 pm
+1 i like this idea

Posted Wed 07 Dec 11 @ 6:58 am
You want a 64 beats marker!!! I don't know if it's possible to create such long BPM keeper (haven't tried it) but I know it's possible to create a 16 beats long BPM keeper as I already have implemented one...

PS: I know that this is not exactly what you want, but it can be a temp work-around...

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 4:07 am
Deffinately is a good work around. I had no idea that anything more than the 4 beat keeper existed. I like that and will look into it, thanks.

I had no idea what to call it, but isn't 8 X 4 = 32?

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 8:08 am
If you are like me and have cue point 1 at the start of every track you could map a macro button to set up cues every 32 beats, and name them the relevant size eg

goto +32 & set_cue 20 & cue_name 20 "bar 32" &

this script will set cue 1 if it hasn't been set, if cue 1 is already set, it will set all your cue markers then jump back to cue 1, all in a split second ready for you to hit play (only use once the track is loaded). Also if you hold the button it will delete all the cue marker cues, the code is for 128 beats because I didn't want to write the whole thing for a test, but you could do it for any number of beats you choose. You could even map a variation of it to your play button, so you don't have to think about it.. if you want that just say so.

holding ? delete_cue 20 & delete_cue 21 & delete_cue 22 & delete_cue 23 & delete_cue 24 & delete_cue 25 : hot_cue 1 ? goto_cue 1 & goto +128 & set_cue 20 & cue_name 20 "bar 128" & goto +128 & set_cue 21 & cue_name 21 "bar 256" & goto +128 & set_cue 22 & cue_name 22 "bar 384" & goto +128 & set_cue 23 & cue_name 23 "bar 512" & goto +128 & set_cue 24 & cue_name 24 "bar 640" & goto +128 & set_cue 25 & cue_name 25 "bar 768" & goto +128 & set_cue 25 & cue_name 25 "bar 896" & goto_cue 1 : set_cue 1

If you are intent on using this you will also need to be able to correct the cues positions, that can be achieved with

cue forwards
set_cue 20 +5ms & set_cue 21 +5ms & set_cue 22 +5ms & set_cue 23 +5ms & set_cue 24 +5ms & set_cue 25 +5ms

cue backwards
set_cue 20 -5ms & set_cue 21 -5ms & set_cue 22 -5ms & set_cue 23 -5ms & set_cue 24 -5ms & set_cue 25 -5ms

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 9:51 am
Crazy script, that is an idea that I never thought of. I Normally, I use my first 3 cues to cut intros, mark starting points and to mark vocal positions for mixing. I use Cue #4 to only mark Music video or dance floor breaks mid song. Then I use Cue #5 to mark early ends. If I used this script, it would wipe out that work (If I am reading this right). EDIT - I just saw that you start at Cue 20, that is perfect, I will look into this, thanks

But I like the idea allot. I can tweak this a bit and taylor it to my situation. Thanks for this idea.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 11:03 am
no worries happy to help bro...

Also if you are going to edit it you should seperate it onto seperate lines so it is easier to see where you are up to and you will see the pattern.

holding ? delete_cue 20 & delete_cue 21 & delete_cue 22 & delete_cue 23 & delete_cue 24 & delete_cue 25 & delete_cue 26 :

hot_cue 1 ? goto_cue 1 &

goto +128 & set_cue 20 & cue_name 20 "bar 128" &
goto +128 & set_cue 21 & cue_name 21 "bar 256" &
goto +128 & set_cue 22 & cue_name 22 "bar 384" &
goto +128 & set_cue 23 & cue_name 23 "bar 512" &
goto +128 & set_cue 24 & cue_name 24 "bar 640" &
goto +128 & set_cue 25 & cue_name 25 "bar 768" &
goto +128 & set_cue 26 & cue_name 26 "bar 896" &

goto_cue 1 : set_cue 1

896 bars is around 7 minutes at 128bpm good enough for anything but a prog monster, I was trying to figure out how to put a condition it so if the song has less than 10% to go for example, it wouldn't place anymore cues, unfortunately I couldn't get it to work, but this is what I had in mind... see if you can get that to work

songpos_remain 10% ? nothing : goto +128 & set_cue 25 & cue_name 25 "bar 768" : songpos_remain 10% ? nothing : goto +128 & set_cue 25 & cue_name 25 "bar 896" &

This will work much better when we can set the color of cue points though, fingers crossed for vdj8 :)

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 11:27 am
Thanks, yea, this is how I made sense of the NSFX mapper. It was a real gem a discovery. Thanks for sharing that tip. VDJ should put that in a sticky under the "How To" examples for scripting.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 11:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)