Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best Laptop/Features for DJ'ing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jasdjPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I am looking at getting a new laptop for DJ'ing and was interested in hearing about which laptop and/or features everyone thought was the best for a DJ.

The new Dell Latitude E6520 is availble with a touch screen (could be cool but not sure if it is necessary) and dual hard drives (nice for backup).

The Alienware laptops have great video cards and look cool.

What does everyone us and recommend?

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 6:29 am
jbart19PRO InfinityMember since 2011
There have been a few laptop threads in the last 2 weeks that have a lot of info in them. Try to go back and find those. I would normally not say that but they are very recent and have a lot of good info in them. What's the pricepoint you are looking at? Do you do video mixing? how large is your music/video collection in GB?

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 8:26 am
My Alienware is now 4 yrs old and still performs well..the only thing I replaced was the cd drive.Running XP, 2 gigs ram, doing video,karoke,and music using a Denon mc6000 and the Numark NS6 for home practice.Would I buy another? you betcha..

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 8:52 am
All I can say is "ASUS", you won't be disappointed......

Happy Hunting
Huey

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 9:01 am
jbart19PRO InfinityMember since 2011
=D Huey you love the G-series ! They are great and as you know typically my recommendation too but let's at least let the guy think we customized our recommendation to his needs ;)

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 9:15 am
Hahaa, ya I love my laptop!! It's never failed unless I did something stupid, lol! I've thought about a Mac but with limited effects and such I'd have to boot camp it anyway so what's the point. I'll have my truck paid off here soon so I'll be scooping up another Asus shortly. The one I have now I've had for 4 years and it's still strong!! I'm gonna miss her when I get the new one, lol!!

Huey

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 9:43 am
This question comes up at least once a week .....

Macbook Pro running Windows 7.

Keith

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 11:15 am
agree with kradcliffe

Posted Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 2:33 am
I would say that any new, QUALITY name brand machine on the market will work fine (I'm talking music mixing ONLY)...the more important

things are optimizing the machine's settings for djing with low latency and DEDICATING a machine to ONLY djing. The more "stuff" on the

computer = the more chances for performance degradation......If u will be video mixing (not my area of expertise) then RAM and things of that

nature are SUPER important. 2 Gb plus processor and all the machines now have at least 4 Gb RAM should do you.....FYI go to DJ Tech

Tools website
for a video tutorial on optimizing a Windows PC for Djing. ....BTW...nothing bad about Macs, just the price is WAYYY too

high for what you get, when a PC can be tweaked to run perfectly....IMO

Posted Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 5:47 am
I Have a Dell XPS with 6 gig ran 2 750 gig hd and a ext hd 2TB for backup not sure the video card but i have never had a problem so far pluss i have a hp for a backup with about the same specs

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 6:33 pm
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Fast processor = 2.3Ghz or greater. Preferably a quad core
Lots of RAM = 4GB or higher
Big HD = 750 GB to 1TB

if you are doing video, add to that a good video card with maybe 1GB memory

GET A MAC. It's operation system is better at allocation resources for media use.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 11 @ 8:51 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Macbook Pro running Windows 7

OK so if your running VDJ on the windows side what's the point of buying a Mac? I'll put my Asus up against a Mac running timecodes and video........

I just don't get why you guys say get a Mac when your running windows
Huey

Posted Tue 25 Oct 11 @ 9:17 am
What makes mac good is, It can run low in latecity whithout getting a usb drop out. Some Windows based laptops can run low depending which one you buy and it has to be tweaked. Macbook pro are designed for Multi Media. I dont do much Music video DJ ing but my Macbook pro is a Monster and can handle all the new songs 720p & 1080p H.264 videos Easy. I am using a 2.2ghz Quad Core with 8 Gigs of Ram, 256 Gig Solid state HD & a Radeon 6750 1 Gig video card. I donwgraded to Snow leopard isntead of Lion Osx.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 11 @ 8:12 pm
i have VIRTUAL DJ software in my LAPTOP but the other effects is not in function

any advice or help

i appreciated it thank you

Posted Sat 13 Oct 12 @ 5:10 am
click on the pencil and paper icon at the top of this page to

start your own topic

if you could be more specific about what the difficulty is , what isn't working

we can help you

Posted Sat 13 Oct 12 @ 12:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)