Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Ability to save BPM and Key information to mp3 tags

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The virtual DJ database on each one of our hard drives has contained BPM details from close to when virtual DJ was created and key information in the last few iterations...

The Problem

I find this system of holding all of vdj's mp3 whereabouts/length/BPM/Key in a .xml file a godsend in one instance because I know that this is what causes vdj to run so fast and run quite smoothly..... but on the other hand I find it very annoying to have to scan all or most of my music whenever I change filenames or folders holding my scanned mp3s.

A Possible Solution?

Having a external program which can be downloaded separately from vdj*. This program could in turn find the files by using the database (.xml) start saving vdj's tags to the music files therefore never needing to scan/rescan files again.

Although this could take give or take a couple of hours to a couple of days depending on size of database/music collection this would still be a godsend for a lot of users because after one sweep the files would be watertight and futureproof for either further vdj releases or whether they would rather change dj systems.

one other plus for this would be the ease of coding... the .xml files from already scanning your given hard drive are giving the bpm, key info and where the files are so all that would be needed would be an injector... this could be a free download for licence holders

........or if there was a chance the coders were willing to work a little harder this could be a good money spinner..... sold as a cheaper alternative to Mixed in Key by using the code from vdj to scan the mp3 this would be a quicker exercise than using mixed in key which i find takes an age to do 1 mp3 never mind 1tb of music! (and probably bring in some good money!#)

please atomix/vdj gods please hear my cry for help..... :-)
(#... thought long and hard about this for you vdj gods when thinking about this... i wanna keep you's all in business!)

(*this would not change the size of vdj's download as well as this it might not be needed by everyone)

Posted Thu 01 Sep 11 @ 9:22 pm
Here's an article on other key/bpm analysers (most don't exist any more) Click here to see them

The other programs are Tagtraum Industries BeaTunes, Mixed in Key, MixMeister Fusion, MixShare Rapid Evolution.

Posted Thu 01 Sep 11 @ 10:01 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you need to make name or directory changes use VDJ to do them and all will be good...

Use the move command to relocate files or folders, Right click, click File operations, then choose "Move To" another window will open up then find the folder you want to move your file or folder too and click "ok"...

Renaming, you need to do it in "Files Infos" dialog screen, you can do an edit to title/artist , click apply, then click the "up arrow" at the Filename: field on top and this will make that change to the file name in your hard drive...

There is alot of good information in your owners manual that you can benefit from....

Good Luck,

Joey....

Posted Thu 01 Sep 11 @ 10:42 pm
No...no....no I'm not clueless.....I know about moving within vdj...it is far far far too clunky.

I'm constantly naming and renaming folders via tag&rename which is far quicker than opening my dj program to do a large number of tagging and naming folders by artists names and albums via tags.....vdj cannot do this hence why I am not using it for that task.

And sorry for sounding ungrateful for your advice but I know what i'm talking about (just maybe not expressing it very well!)

I'm interested in having my mp3s tagged with the bpms and keys that vdj can analyse. my vdj program has access to my database that is about 50mb to 60mb and has a full directory of where a terrabyte of my music is able to be accessed (all tagged up for now)... I would like vdj to be able to save the 50 odd megabytes of information to my mp3s.... which would then make my life easier....

This is not about how to reconnect my songs from vdj back to where my mp3s exist..... this is about even if vdj loses my song info I will still be able to see bpm and key details because it belongs to the mp3.....not vdj.... you see?

Posted Thu 01 Sep 11 @ 11:35 pm
Batch export of database info to tags is not possible at the moment but has been requested many many times.

You can do it one track at a time, but it will take you the rest of your life .......

Keith

Posted Mon 05 Sep 11 @ 6:24 am
Actually it CAN be done in a batch ;)
It's the other way around that "can't" be done.

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 5:48 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hi George, Does your program have this capablility now to batch process tag info from VDJ xml into media file tags

Thanks,
Joey...

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 9:18 am
Joey check your in box......

Huey

Posted Mon 12 Sep 11 @ 10:47 am
Well at least there's a solution and it happens to be a very simple and clever a macro that works when opening the file info box in the search area and then simply automatically presses the save comment, bpm and key and saves them to the file and continues til it reaches the bottom of the search box.

As long as you have scanned all your MP3's then using this will save you so much time! because you wont ever need to scan again!

this would've taken weeks if not months if I was to do this myself.

...so if a little third party program can do this....why can't VDJ?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 12:42 am

Posted Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 4:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)