Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Anyone doing Karaoke using VDJ & Mac - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

my karaoke files appear and disappear in VDJ. I have to restart VDJ & they show up again. Basically I lose my database. Was online with tech support all day. Only they said was to put my files in subfolders with 10 songs per folder. That didnt fix it. Any Ideas anyone? Brand new Macbook Pro 15.

Posted Wed 13 Jul 11 @ 8:32 pm
Further testing. My buddy brought hs Mac over and we used his Mac VDJ & his karaoke collection which he uses on a karaoke hoster that works on his Mac. We tried to load his files and they wouldnt all load up. Is this an issue with VDJ & Mac???

Posted Wed 13 Jul 11 @ 9:20 pm
Please check the following:

(1) The karaoke files are in MP3+G format (.mp3 file + .cdg file.) VirtualDJ does not support .kar MIDI files, .bin files or playing Karaoke directly from the original CD+G discs. If you have original CDG discs, you will need to 'rip' them to MP3+G format, or purchase karaoke in MP3+G format directly from on-line karaoke vendors. To find tools for ripping MP3+G, please search Goggle for: rip mp3+g

(2) The files have been named correctly - The .ZIP file (If zipped) and the .MP3 and .CDG files contained within it must all have the same name, e.g:

ABBA - Dancing Queen (SF123-01).zip
|- ABBA - Dancing Queen (SF123-01).mp3
`- ABBA - Dancing Queen (SF123-01).cdg

(3) If zipped, the .ZIP file is not corrupted or is using non-standard compression. Some older karaoke ripping software produces corrupted .ZIP files that VirtualDJ cannot read. If you have trouble loading a .ZIP, simply extract its contents and then rezip it again using the .ZIP support built-into Windows XP and above (Right-click -> Send to compressed folder) or MacOS (CMD + click -> Create archive)

NOTE: With today's large hard drives, zipping is not really necessary.

NOTE: On a Mac, please ensure that you do not have too many ZIP files in the same folder, otherwise they may not be displayed. Most KJ's usually organise their collection by disk number (E.g: /Karaoke/Sunfly/SF123, /Karaoke/Sunfly/SF124, etc.) so this is not usually a problem.

(4) You have added the files to your VirtualDJ database. To do this, use the VirtualDJ browser to browse to the folder where they are located, right-click on it and choose Add to search DB

(5) You have not disabled the display of karaoke files - Click on the eye icon to the far-right of the browser search bar and ensure that karaoke is ticked.

Posted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 5:15 am
If I was to bootcamp. Would that help?

Posted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 8:17 am
I have changed my folders to Karaoke/Disc Series/ Disc #/ Zip Files. I eliminated the few folders that I had that have 400 to 500 karaoke files in it. This still gives me a problem. I am still working with support on this issue and hoping to get this sorted out. hopefully we figure it out for others who who are having an issue with Karaoke & VDJ Mac.

Posted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 9:16 am
djbojett wrote :
I have changed my folders to Karaoke/Disc Series/ Disc #/ Zip Files. I eliminated the few folders that I had that have 400 to 500 karaoke files in it. This still gives me a problem. I am still working with support on this issue and hoping to get this sorted out. hopefully we figure it out for others who who are having an issue with Karaoke & VDJ Mac.

Oh and the zip files are good. Same files I used on my windows machine. (if that matters?)

Posted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 9:17 am
Well I guess there have been many others having this problem in VDJ for a few years now. every post I have read has no solution for this issue. I have been at this machine for 2 days doing every possible thing VDJ has told me 2.

Posted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 12:50 pm
Another thing. In my experimenting I can add to search db around 2521 karaoke files at a time. Then I have to restart VDJ because the files will not show up in the browser. I can add antoher 2500 restart again and so fourth. To do this method would take forever not to mention what other freaky will it do. I've checked to make sure files were zipped the right way. The wierd thing that I see is even tho the files do not show up in the browser if you click on a folder they will show up if you search for them. Is it something to do with the cache? Disk Hierarchy?

Posted Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 6:12 pm
Unzip the files. There's no need to have them compressed. It's 2011, hard drives are larger and cheaper. Zip files belong back in the windows 98 days

Posted Fri 15 Jul 11 @ 10:21 pm
took the MAc back unfortunately.

Posted Sat 16 Jul 11 @ 10:41 am
DJ Mad Maxx wrote :
Unzip the files. There's no need to have them compressed. It's 2011, hard drives are larger and cheaper. Zip files belong back in the windows 98 days

Totally agree

Posted Sat 16 Jul 11 @ 5:34 pm
What do u guys have for karaoke 5 files. I'm over it

Posted Sun 17 Jul 11 @ 1:59 am
Surprised you didn't fix it.

I have my files on a firewire drive and also 2 spare usb drives and all karaoke files in one folder. Loads up fine on my mac.

Posted Sun 17 Jul 11 @ 7:20 pm
Dang. I loved the Mac. Maybe next time

Posted Sun 17 Jul 11 @ 7:30 pm
I have the same problem. What is the fix for that?

Posted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 11:29 am
also, this is from another thread and might be helpful....

Date: Tue 07 Dec 10 @ 8:27 pm
Teamer: jpboggis
Message: Please check the permissions on your VirtualDJ folder are set correctly:

* Go to the /users/YOURNAME/Documents folder and Control+Click (Right click) on the VirtualDJ folder.

* Choose Get Info from the pop-up menu.

* In the bottom right corner of the Get Info dialog, click on the pad-lock icon and unlock it (You will be prompted for your user password.)

* Then just above that to the left is the Permissions list. Make sure that your user account has Read/Write permissions set.

* Just below the Permissions box there is a button with a gear graphic on it - Click on it and choose the 'Apply to all included' items.

* Once changed, close the Get Info dialogue box to apply the changes.

NOTE: If you use external drives, you will also need to do the above for each external drive.

NOTE: If your external drive is PC NTFS formatted, then VIrtualDJ will not be able to write to it and save your database information. The drive must either be natively formatted for Mac use only, or if you wish to also use it on a PC, it must be formatted FAT32. Mac can't write to PC NTFS formatted drives

Posted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 12:11 pm
Regarding the note above: Load TuxeraNTFS onto your Mac. You'll be able to read/write to NTFS without any issues. It's pretty inexpensive.

For KJ's, the zipping of the files isn't to save space, it's for organizational purposes. It's easier to ensure you have everything by grabbing a single file than to try and keep two files together everywhere.

I'm currently using kJams for my karaoke on the mac (4Gb memory), but it's too much of a memory hog. I have over 64K tracks. It appears that kJams keeps an entire linked list of the Artist & Track in memory. Searches are just too bloody slow. I'm hoping to be able to use VDJ, but haven't been able to find the Karaoke Rotation Manager Plug-In for the Mac yet. Managing the users and their status in the rotation is just as important if not more so than just playing the track.

If anyone has any ideas or opinions for that, I'm all ears...

Thanks.
Alaska Jammer

Posted Mon 22 Aug 11 @ 2:08 pm
The Karaoke plugin is not too good for VDJ it does not create a rotation nor does it save singer history.

Posted Mon 22 Aug 11 @ 2:32 pm
Forget the Tuxera. Just format the external drive to a MAC format. All issues disappear with a properly formatted mac Drive

Posted Mon 22 Aug 11 @ 9:34 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had (still have) issues with karaoke files simply not being seen. To get around this (until I migrate back to PC for this and other reasons) my workaround has been to use MacOS's finder/spotlight to find the karaoke files and then drag them into VDJ's deck to play them. Works OK, and not really very painful, but I wouldn't want to do a whole karaoke gig that way.

Posted Tue 23 Aug 11 @ 10:25 am
49%