Forum: General Discussion

Discussions about VirtualDJ, and about DJing in general

Forum Guidelines
If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
(*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Topic: anyone use spotify recorder?
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
any of you guys ever use this?

http://spotifyrecorder.com/

i have a spotify account and was thinking of buying this, any idea if its any good? or even legal?

Posted Mon 10 Jan 11 @ 1:24 pm
Wow...I'm a spotify user as well but I have never seen this before....

I don't know if it's legal because it looks similar to youtube converter but you actually have to pay for this one so I don't know :/ will be interesting to see the response to this :)

Posted Mon 10 Jan 11 @ 3:27 pm
mikehgsHome userMember since 2011
Hmm, not really familiar with that particular Spotify Recorder. Guess might work to record Spotify streaming but not sure about the recorded Spotify mp3 music you'd end up with.

There's also some Audials piece of software that can be used as a Spotify Recorder:

http://audials.com/en/how_to_rip_record_internet_radios/spotify.html

Used this Spotify Recorder myself some time ago to capture and record Spotify music streaming to mp3 files and sav'em to my hard disk, it's actually prety fast and the Spotify mp3's you get are in good quality.

Guess you can take a closer look at it and see how it works for you.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 11 @ 9:43 am
i think recording from spotify is like downloading from a pirate site. Not legal. And if you should record from spotify make shure you have plenty of time. Much easier to get the song or album of some of the legal options. Plus why pay for something that is sooo easy to do yourself. All you need is a cable from sound out and in to line in and a free audio recording program set to record from line in. Bare in mind that you must "listen" to the whole song. Takes to long time...

Posted Tue 21 Jun 11 @ 5:51 pm
how is it like downloading off a pirate site?? i pay my monthly fees to listen to music whereever i am....im paying royalties to contributing artists so why shouldnt i be able to dl it??

thats like saying, go pay $xx.xx to a dj pool and not download the music to play in your sets.

Posted Wed 22 Jun 11 @ 3:33 pm
you pay to LISTEN not to save to your disc, else the feature will be directly available in spotify client...
i know this is SAD but this is like that.

Posted Wed 22 Jun 11 @ 3:46 pm
You already can download music from the Spotify client. It has a cache, as long as you pay your 'listen' license, you can listen to your tracks. Spotify also allow you to buy music like iTunes. This recorder will do little other than record in real-time the audio you are playing on your computer. Windows already has this support built-in for free.

It may not be illegal, but it's certainly not encouraged behaviour. Personally, I don't really care, so long as you're not trying to make money from it - otherwise it's a huge kick in the teeth for all the DJs who buy their music legitimately.

Posted Wed 22 Jun 11 @ 4:16 pm
i dont make a penny from any music i download.

Posted Wed 22 Jun 11 @ 6:03 pm
One of the Spotify recorder that I know is called Streaming Audio Recorder. It is able to record not just Spotify music, it can also record songs from Pandora, YouTube and more. Here is how I used it to convert Spotify to MP3:
Step 1. Launch the program on computer and seconds later you will see the primary interface appear. It will show the "Record" interface by default.

Step 2. Now go back to Spotify and start playing the music you would like to record and convert. After that, click on "Record" button in Streaming Audio Recorder to record songs from Spotify.

Step 3. Go to "Library" > "Recording List" to preview your recordings from Spotify. This program is able to identify your music recording ID3 Tag automatically so that you can see the title, artist, album, etc. of the recorded track with ease. It allows you to manually edit the ID3 Tag if needed.
More info: http://www.convertanymusic.com/tutorials/convert-spotify-music-to-mp3.html

Posted Tue 15 Nov 16 @ 9:32 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I am not here to make any ad but what about the program Replay Music that have been around for years ?
Works great on several sites.
http://applian.com/replay-music/

Posted Tue 15 Nov 16 @ 4:39 pm
Blulite wrote :
i dont make a penny from any music i download.

So all your gigs are done for free??

Posted Tue 15 Nov 16 @ 5:19 pm
moraldikson wrote :
One of the Spotify recorder that I know is called Streaming Audio Recorder. It is able to record not just Spotify music, it can also record songs from Pandora, YouTube and more. Here is how I used it to convert Spotify to MP3:
Step 1. Launch the program on computer and seconds later you will see the primary interface appear. It will show the "Record" interface by default.

Step 2. Now go back to Spotify and start playing the music you would like to record and convert. After that, click on "Record" button in Streaming Audio Recorder to record songs from Spotify.

Step 3. Go to "Library" > "Recording List" to preview your recordings from Spotify. This program is able to identify your music recording ID3 Tag automatically so that you can see the title, artist, album, etc. of the recorded track with ease. It allows you to manually edit the ID3 Tag if needed.
More info: http://www.convertanymusic.com/tutorials/convert-spotify-music-to-mp3.html

This recorder will record any sounds that come through your computer. It also provides a search feature that you can download from. Probably this search is similar to what netsearch is.

Posted Tue 15 Nov 16 @ 5:43 pm
Apart from the legal aspect.

You recording an already compressed MP3 that probably streams in 192kbps or less to another mp3 file. No wonder why quality decays all over the places where people play music.

Because people record compressed files into a compressed file that other people record into a compressed file.

Soon we will be back to tape-quality music.

I know I repeat myself from thread to thread but why dont you just buy your music even if you dont make a penny from it. The quality of the files you buy are worth the money and also stops the snowball of decaying music. IMHO

Posted Tue 06 Feb 18 @ 3:29 pm
Same issue with videos ripped from Youtube.

Generally the videos from Xtendamix have very good quality audio and the difference between that and a Youtube rip is night and day.

Posted Tue 06 Feb 18 @ 3:57 pm