Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mac & CPU usage

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

tuxxlPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hello,

I've got a big problem with my 2 macbooks.

When I was using the 6th version, my cpu doing nothing was around 10 %.

Now, with the 7th version, I'm near 45% doing nothing and more than 110% when mixing 2 or 3 songs making some sound cut and making VDJ unusable in a club environment. So I have installed a bootcamp + Win 7 + VDJ windows and all is allright.

So, perhaps I have done something wrong with my mac or perhaps, this is because of my configuration (2 CDJ 400 and a Audio4Dj with TCD).

What about you ? How is you cpu high doing nothing lauching only VDJ ?

Posted Fri 05 Nov 10 @ 4:28 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Check your battery!

Posted Fri 05 Nov 10 @ 11:06 pm
zentairPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Just out of curiosity, what does the battery have to do with performance?

I noticed a performance decrease from 7 to 6, but I figured it's normal that VDJ requires more CPU power if I use 4 in stead of 2 decks. I also think my macbook (13" 2.16ghz) is near the minimal system requirements, since it's alreay 3 year old.

Posted Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 5:49 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
remove your battery leave plugged in and watch your cpu. Its a mac phenomenon.

Posted Mon 08 Nov 10 @ 2:48 pm
The CPU usage for Mac is also a problem for me. I have done extensive tweaking to disable just about everything possible. Still the CPU usage is (IMHO) unacceptable. Not sure if I am getting the intended results (from removing the battery)...

Control:
Playing two MP4 files at same time, no controller or external sound card connected:

Results:
Before removing the battery, the meter was 70% (picture attached - sorry blurry, but you get the idea). But after I removed my battery, the CPU meter jumped to 100% and stayed there. I too experience audio dropout when the CPU goes to like 80%+ (which happens alot) for this Mac/VDJ. I have noticed some skins cause higher CPU usage than others.

Still after 2 years of owning this application, I've yet to actually perform a video gig with it - which is why I bought it. Sad.

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with Mac OS 10.6
Music Library 52k Songs
(2) 1.5 TB Fantom Drive RAID

Posted Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 1:20 pm
DJAVIPPRO (OEM)Member since 2016
i have also macbook pro and when i load a song i get cpu between 110%-124% Why is that happening What is the reason that macbook do it ?
Both the cpu and the lag when loding a song dosent feel Confidence working VDJ with mac.
Also curious about battery thing...

Posted Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 10:42 pm
I have a PDF of a document from Hercules (when I bought my controller) that is related to MacBook optimization. I don't think I can attach a PDF here. If anyone would like it, please email me and specify the title and I'll email it to you.

djbobbysteele AT yahoo.com

Posted Wed 10 Nov 10 @ 6:45 am

Posted Wed 10 Nov 10 @ 5:09 pm
I have a 2008 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHZ dual core with 4 Gig that I am also having the same issue. I tried the Battery and everything else to tweak the laptop and still high CPU peak. Didn't the problem before I upgraded to VDJ7. This sounds like and issue with the software that needs to be addressed. VDJ Tech support any suggestions on our problem?

Posted Wed 10 Nov 10 @ 5:51 pm
I noticed when I moved from VDJ 6 to VDJ 7 a bump in my CPU usage as the rest of you have. Obviously the footprint of VDJ 7 is got to be a fair amount larger than it was for VDJ 6. We hope the programmers will look into this issue and slim down any areas they can to bring our Mac's back into the CPU comfort zone. I use the higher graphic option when dj'ing so I know this adds abit but overall the change was more than it should be, which tells me the 7 footprint is much bigger and less efficient. Interestingly enough our Mac versions don't even have all the features that the PC versions have and my Mac has a faster chip than most PC's in the past 2 yrs.

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067MHz DDR2 SDRAM with Mac OS 10.6.5
Nvidia 9400M/9600M GT Graphics
500GB 7200rpm Internal
(2) 500GB Music External (Backups)
1 320GB Music Video External
7K+ Music Tracks @ 256/320 Bitrate
VDJ Pro 7 Hercules MK4

Posted Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 1:23 am

Posted Tue 16 Nov 10 @ 5:57 pm
I don't see a reference to a CPU usage issue in the 7.0.1 update. Is there a reference?

Posted Wed 17 Nov 10 @ 2:15 pm
7.0.1 seems to work the exact same for me, in regards to the CPU usage....

Posted Thu 18 Nov 10 @ 11:09 pm
Hey folks for me is worst than the 7, if i am playing a video and load another one on the other deck the cpu goes 100 then start having audio cuts wich happened sometimes with version 7 but with 7.01 happens with every single video... I really think they should work to fix this kind of issues instead of having a remote for ipod, i am profesional and ipod remote does not work for serious djs...

Posted Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 10:17 pm
did Someone opened a ticket on this problem?

Posted Sat 20 Nov 10 @ 8:44 pm
7.0.1 - same results for me, audio drops out when I am mixing videos.
I have not - as I didn't know that was an option. I'm glad to head that I can. I'll take a look and see how to...

Posted Tue 23 Nov 10 @ 11:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)