Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Topic: How to set up VDJ/Mac to out put the video mix?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jvg123PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hey all. I'm wanting to mix videos, and need the steps to set up my mac book pro with VDJ to out put video mixes to tv screens and a projector. I got a huge house party coming up and want to mix custom motion graphic music videos that I'v made. So suggestions on what files my videos should be in. I'm trying to have some detail in my images. Thanks guys for your help.

~JOsh

Posted Sun 19 Sep 10 @ 7:29 pm
i would like to know how to do this too, anyone?? anyone??

Posted Fri 24 Sep 10 @ 6:29 pm
jvg123PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Yea man, I'm still waiting... where is every one? I might have to post this in the mac forum.

Posted Sat 25 Sep 10 @ 10:24 am
yes, not a very active forum :(

Posted Mon 27 Sep 10 @ 4:39 pm
Hey,
Is your mac bootcamped or are u using vdj from the mac side?

Posted Sat 02 Oct 10 @ 9:31 pm
i just straight Mac'n it.....

should i bootcamp it???

Posted Tue 05 Oct 10 @ 1:49 am
you need to set up the extended desktop on your macbook. you will need to export the video via your mini-display port or whatever video export port your mac comes with. 3rd party cards will not work. you can buy the adapters at any best buy, apple store or any other store that sells mac accessories. once you have it all hooked up, go to your video options and select the display thats hooked up (my external is a BENQ projector) and then click on activate and you should be good to go. mac will recognize as soon as another display is connected and turned on.

mark

Posted Thu 21 Oct 10 @ 4:16 pm
From the MacBook Pro, you need the miniDisplayport to VGA adapter that Apple sells @ $30 US. Once you connect this to the minidisplayport, you will see two choices in the VDJ config menu under video (window and VGA display). Choose VGA display and you are off and running.

You can also use the mini display port to DVI adapter if you prefer to use DVI or HDMI video feeds, however the cabling for that is much more expensive.

I have been using VDJ for about 2 years in live club environments running video out to the house projectors or flat screens as needed. I found you can use a very inexpensive VGA splitter cable to go to 2 external sources using long VGA cables.

A more advanced solution, which sets up quickly is based on CAT5 cables (lightweight and easy to hang from ceilings). Black box offers a converter box that can take the VGA output and run it over CAT5 cable. There are different models of the transmitter box that can send to a single receiver or up to 4 receivers. Each receiver has 2 VGA outputs that connect to the device. The 4 port transmitter is $159.95 US and each receiver is $89.95. I've been using this solution for about a year and it works great! Video adds a difference to my show and the club owners have been very positive in response.

DJ Jimbo
Frisco, TX

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 8:32 pm
thanx for the info J
i FINALLY got it to work, the problem i had ultimately was just a bad DVI connector, I went to FRY's got a new DVI to VGA converter ($19.00) and i was ready to go...
actually did my first video mix at the spin lounge in uptown whittier, ca - i was great, had 3 huge plasmas rocking, i just went thru their s-video connection using this:
PC to Video EZ (www.grandtec.com)
everything looked great.
Thanx guys
dj johnny aftershock

Posted Fri 05 Nov 10 @ 7:44 pm
I need assistance with for first time VJ on MAC. My screen is showing my VDJ screen on the projector and I only want to show the Video being played and not my decks that I'm working from. Can ya help me

Posted Sat 15 Sep 12 @ 3:28 pm
I've been using Virtual DJ on Mac for Video Mixing, and Karaoke Shows for a while already, it used to work just perfect on the 7th version, i was able to mix and in the mean time download karaoke songs from a page which I purchased a membership from, without the external video output disappearing from the screen, but now I can't minimize virtual dj without minimizing the video out too, and that's kind of inconvenient, is there a way to fix that? Or is that feature coming up on the next updates soon? :)

Posted Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 2:13 am
If you're on Mac, the key is that after you plug in your external video display (whether its HDMI, mini-displayport or whatever), you then have to go into settings and turn off mirror mode. This will set the external display as a "second" monitor. At that point, go into VDJ and turn video off and then on again, and it should figure it out.

At the worst, you'll need to drag the video window over to the "second" monitor and double-click to make it full screen.

Posted Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 7:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)