Forum: Wishes and new features

Features you would like to see in VirtualDJ
Topic: Recording Your [DRM] Mixes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey do you think they will be making a seperate record button for recording drm to the cache and have it not work if they arent a premium member, cause if your gonna have to pay now for netsearch, you should be able to save your mixes to the cache and make it only work when your in the membership. Please get this idea out and to the right department or subject this is in! Thanks, Best Regards, DJ Will God bless you all!

Posted Tue 15 Jun 10 @ 5:53 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Already answered in the Premium forum ... but the easy answer is No.

NetSearch tracks (since we started NetSearch a year ago) have always been DRM protected when Cached.

You do not own the tracks. They are a subscription to use the tracks.

Posted Tue 15 Jun 10 @ 7:42 pm
you are not understanding what i am saying. I am not wanting music, I am just wanted the mixes recorded to drm format into the cache. And as they are recorded they are NOT TO BE RECORDED in any other format besides vdjcache which will onoly work if you are a permium member. Basically have a seperate recorder that records in vdjcache, that way u can still have your own mix using the drm feature, but you won't own it. I am wanting the prgram producer to improve the software so that more PROFESSIONAL djs will enjoy it. Take care everyone and God Bless :)

Posted Thu 17 Jun 10 @ 4:51 pm
DJWILL5394 wrote :
that way u can still have your own mix using the drm feature, but you won't own it.

ok.. YOU have me curious ;-)

and what would you then do with this recorded mix that is only playable via VDJ and only on your computer?

Also you do realize that ALL DRM can be bypassed with a $4 audio cable? ;-)

Posted Thu 17 Jun 10 @ 6:04 pm
I know far more on bypassing drm. However, THAT IS WORNG AND IT IS STEALING, AND I WILL NOT DO THAT!!!!!! All i am trying to sa is if a program producer will add the drm record feature that only records to vdjcahce or in drm which will only work if they contiusly pay. However they wont be able to own it, the djs will be able to keep their precias mixes, and it will inspire more people to become members. DUDE DO NOT STEAL!!!!!!I know your trying to help, but that is just totally wrong. Anyways please just give the idea out to a program producer to add this feature in which it will be recorded to drm format only and will only have the features of drm, basically vdjcahce file. :)So it won't be stealing and it will be legal :)Take care and God Bless.

Posted Thu 24 Jun 10 @ 10:07 pm
I would actually use the vdj only playable on my pc to have many effects and mixes together in one song and mix something else. I think this is an amazing idea, but i just want it to come it to life so that virtualdj will become more successful. If the feature was already available, i would be a prmium member, but i dont see why of getting it, if i cant make my own mixes record to vdjcache, suchas the videos and the songs do.This would be very cool! Thanks hippydog for the info, please help me!!

Posted Thu 24 Jun 10 @ 10:16 pm
hippydog wrote :

Also you do realize that ALL DRM can be bypassed with a $4 audio cable? ;-)

Explain plz

Posted Fri 25 Jun 10 @ 1:25 pm
okay so heres my good explanation... What I want is for djs that are premium members to have the availability of recording thier mixes while having a drm song or video in their track back to the vdjcache format in which they will not own them so this feature will become more popular. This can be done by adding another record feature that will protect ir only recording to the vdjcache file format and still keep it legal and sutible for djs so they wont lose thier mixes, and so they will want to keep beeing a premium member, which will help out the virtualdj family and it will help djs extremely as i need this feature. Best Regards,
Djwill Ps:Let me know if you need any more information or help to add this feature in. Please note it will only happen by a program producer that can add this feature and still keep the vdjcache files safe:) Also Don't steal guys, that just totally ruins the music industry resulting in less music for artists, and less music to dj, and it is plain wrong. Godbless you all!!

Posted Sat 26 Jun 10 @ 12:56 am
exactly what is stopping you from purchasing the original music yourself?

instead of depending on some $10 music service, doesnt it make sense to be 100% legal and support the artists by PURCHASING the tracks?

think about it.. the entire purpose of the DRM is to stop ANY copying.. allowing you to record that mix is just as illegal as using that $4 audio card..

Posted Sat 26 Jun 10 @ 3:49 pm
Such a feature would be a waste of development time as one could just use another program to record the soundcards output, this is easier than using a virtual audio cable (or infact a real one) and is lossless in terms of quality. Besides, the main reason to record your mixes are to critique them yourself or use them for promotional uses - having them ruined by drm wouldn't allow you to listen to your mix on the car journey or to hand out to a club owner.

Seeing as you wouldn't play a pre-mixed recording at a gig and you are reliant on netsearch you would continue your subscription despite having recorded mixes.

Posted Sat 26 Jun 10 @ 4:07 pm
Yes I understand it could take some time, but i thinK more people will enjoy this feature instead of all those hassel tricks, and NO!!! It's okay to use drm since virtualdj is already doing it on netsearch they Must have gotten permission to this to avoid lawsuits, so it would be okay, and guys thats just stealing with all those tricks you just told me. Anyways I am buying music, A LOT, its just those times that we may mix something into the program WE MAY NEED THAT FEATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe many djs would love this idea!!!!!!It's not a waste of time since it woulde avoid many conflicts with other people on this subject that would like to be premium members.YOU guys really need to think about this... God bless.

Posted Sat 03 Jul 10 @ 7:10 pm
since new netsearch i dont think there is any oppertunity to do this - your allowd to stream and caching when you are a Premium User... but no record - so i think that waste more time ...

Posted Wed 07 Jul 10 @ 9:49 am
Ps: Happy Fourth of july everyone, do u unserstand what i am saying as well... Okay so what i need is for there to be a feautre that records to the drm vdjcache format which IS POSSIBLE as you download stuff into the cache they can make you download ur mixes into the cache with the drm protection, period.

Posted Wed 07 Jul 10 @ 11:09 am
Ps: Happy Fourth of july everyone, do u understand what i am saying as well... Okay so what i need is for there to be a feature that records to the drm vdjcache format which IS POSSIBLE as you download stuff into the cache they can make you download ur mixes into the cache with the drm protection, period.

Posted Wed 07 Jul 10 @ 11:14 am
DJWILL5394 wrote :
that way u can still have your own mix using the drm feature, but you won't own it.

hippydog wrote :

and what would you then do with this recorded mix that is only playable via VDJ and only on your computer?

DJWILL5394 wrote :
I would actually use the vdj only playable on my pc to have many effects and mixes together in one song and mix something else.

Ok.. that kinda makes sense..

but you need to keep a few things in mind..

1.) netsearch is not meant to act as your main music catalog (its more for those weird requests, browsing whats out there, and one-offs, IE songs you normally wouldnt purchase).

2.) recording the song in ANY form breaks the DRM (so it doesnt matter if its recorded into the cache or not, or "how" its recorded) the purpose of the DRM is so NO OTHER COPIES CAN BE MADE..

3.) if your layering effects and mixes so much that you need to record it to use in another mix... sounds to me like your heavily using that song.. pay your $1.00 and and buy it.. no DRM, no problem..

in the end.. I think Atomix had to work pretty hard in getting a deal like Netsearch, I don't think THEY want to risk their partnership by breaking the DRM, just to make things easier for the 0.1% of the VDJ users that want to record it..

Posted Wed 07 Jul 10 @ 3:26 pm
Dude you make a lot of sense , I guess maybe you guys wont be able to since people could decrypt the vdjcache file, resulting in lawsuits,but all i am saying is that it will resolve a lot of peoples complain with recording files and just have it recorded into the drm cache so that they will be happy that at least they will make mixes recorded to virtualdj. Either this or make a feature that records your movement in the program so that you dont have to constantly dj with the netsearch songs. But yeah its a lot easier buying the songs lol:) Some people wont listin to that though i dont think lol thanks dude!=]] Peace and Chicken grease!:) God bless

Posted Fri 23 Jul 10 @ 5:38 pm
ps there not breaking the drm if thats what your tying to say, its having another type of recorder that will allow the recording of songs only to a vdjcache drm protected file, so its basically not breaking drm. But i think you already know that:)

Posted Fri 23 Jul 10 @ 5:42 pm
DJWILL5394 wrote :
,but all i am saying is that it will resolve a lot of peoples complain with recording files and just have it recorded into the drm cache so that they will be happy

or ... instead of complaining.. those users should support the artists that make the music in the first place..
If the song is good enough for them to record, then its good enough to be paid for...

enough said... I'm out..
thanx

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 2:43 pm
lol true 2 dat Thanks dude for the real answer!:) Peace and chicken grease :) and God bless you!

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 3:00 pm
It's my understanding that under a typical broadcast or performance license one would be allowed to play any published track from any artist, unless that right is specifically withdrawn by the copyright holder. The artists and copyright holders are compensated through their respective organizations.

Now the interesting thing is that one is typically required to record any performed or broadcast material, and that payments are often based on post analysis of these recordings. So why is a software mixer telling me I can't record certain content for ethical reasons? Not only would I not accept the same sort of behaviour from my other equipment, but Virtual DJ very much appears to make it slightly harder to follow regulations and ensure due payment to aritsts and copyright holders.

Like others have mentioned, the simple workaround is routing the master output to a third party recorder, software or hardware.

Seeing how most countries appear to have laws that specifically allow the trivial circumvention of DRM - Well, I just don't see the point :)

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 1:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)