Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Topic: Will upgrading my RAM improve video?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I currently have a HP laptop running Vista 32bit with 2Gb of RAM and AMD 64 2.00Ghz duo processor.

If I double my RAM to 4Gb, would I notice any difference in the use of Videos on VDJ? Sometimes now they seem to struggle to play and become jittery at times.

I use mainly mp4 video files.

Thank you,
Steve.

Posted Sat 22 May 10 @ 7:17 am
What I would do first is this.....

Go to a computer parts store and buy an OEM copy of windows 7 or vista whichever you prefer - 32 bit (that's important.)

Format your computer, wipe it out. Then install your new O/S. GO to Dell's website and D/L any drivers necessary for your motherboards video chip and sound, high speed connection and so forth.

Your computer should be able run videos, I do video shows with an ATOM (dual core) net-top and a Numark DMC-2
The biggest thing with laptops is the crap that manufacturers install on them get rip of that and you should have clear sailing.

P.S. make sure you back up your document files or they'll be gone once you format.

Posted Sat 22 May 10 @ 8:24 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Second what Marcel said but, yes get as much memory as possible in your machine. Memory is never a bad investment when it comes to PC DJing.

Posted Sat 22 May 10 @ 10:13 am
Hi.
Thanks for your replies.

I have kind of done that a little while ago. I backed everything up and wiped the comp and started from scratch. The only real programmes that automatically get installed with my reset discs are a free trial of Microsoft Windoes and an Antivirus programme which I deleted straight away as I don't need them.

The annoying thing aswell that I have just noticed is that I have two slots for RAM so presumed that I would have a 2Gb strip in there from factory and all I had to do was by another 2Gb. However on looking they have put 2x 1Gb strips of RAM in. Buggers. lol. Now I will have to buy 2x 2Gb'

Posted Sun 23 May 10 @ 6:40 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Whilst memory is never a bad investment as said above I doubt you will see much improvement. 2Gb should be sufficient, so it's likely you have other issues that are causing your PC to run slowly. Background software, bad latency and so on.

Posted Sun 23 May 10 @ 12:09 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Also, 32 bit Windows does not se anything more than 3 gigs of ram.

Posted Tue 08 Jun 10 @ 8:52 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You need to do some more reading on memory architecture before making statements like that I'm afraid. Leaving aside extensions such as PAE, Windows is capable of addressing a 4Gb memory space. The problem is that of this 4Gb space some of the allocation space will be needed for IO to devices such as your video RAM and BIOS. These effectively swallow up address space that would otherwise be allocated to your RAM meaning that this space is not available to windows as RAM ;)

Posted Thu 10 Jun 10 @ 11:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)