Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tempo Performance

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

xx396Home userMember since 2008
I've been playing around with VirtualDJ for the length of the trial and am very happy with most aspects of it. However one thing that is disappointing me is its tempo performance. I thought it was just inherent that you might acquire some artefacts when adjusting it on particularly complex songs but I was having a play around with it on the Traktor demo and could swear the quality of the latter is superior; its far less of a cpu hog as well in my experience. Is this fair or am I imagining it?! I prefer everything else about VDJ but that is holding me back because sound quality should be the priority first and foremost. I've played around with the performance tab options and even best quality just seems to make things worse.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 7:28 am
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
Hy xx396,
i think the quality of a sound is based on the soundcard, mixer/amps, high of the mp3 kps and also the quality of used cables.
The better is the stuff above, the better is the sound that blast your brain.

I beginn with a PC onboard Soundcard (:-( and switch in a short time to a good soundcard.
Since this time I've never had problems with my sound quality.

I'm sure you need with a nother software also a good quality stuff behind them.

Last but not least, the better the soundcard is, the higher you can adjust the performance setting!
Hope this helps.

Now it's up to you

Greetz
Haui

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 8:14 am
hmm... what type of music do you mix?

i do hip hop, etc and it's usually complex beats, etc

VDJ 99% gets the tempo right, but sometimes the beat is wrong - it where it thinks the beat is is off by a half beat, etc

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 8:39 am
I will have to admit I have heard better performance. PCDJ Reflex IMO had the best MT around especially when in high quality mode. Virtual DJ's MT is decent when you use the advanced settings. Speeding up a track rather than slowing a track down helps minimize artifacts at least for my ears. I also only will only adjust it with less than 10 BPM difference.

I would love to see Virtual DJ's rival PCDJ Reflex's.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 8:48 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Doesn't Traktor use the zplane elastique algorithm? It would be nice if VDJ could adopt this algorithm as well, I've tested it out on Torq and it performs very well.

You can get VDJs to sound good enough though.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 9:47 am
Yeah, you just need to use the "advanced" master tempo setting and the "advanced" scratch mode in the settings of vdj. But yeah, I can imagine there might be better, but vdj still sounds easily good enough to play out in a club.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 2:57 pm
xx396Home userMember since 2008
Hi all, I thought setting the Master Tempo to advanced from fast made things worse (if thats possible!) with the standard settings of Complexity 3 - Spatilization 0 but setting the latter to 1 sounds great. Any higher than that and it won't play :-) Much higher on the CPU than Traktor for comparable results but I'm a lot happier now.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 7:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)