Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Cigarette Sales getting more difficult.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

"After New Year's Day, pharmacies, grocery stores that have pharmacies in them, health-care facilities and post-secondary institutions in Alberta will be banned from selling tobacco products. Six provinces and two territories already prohibit tobacco sales in pharmacies. Alberta is the first western province to follow suit."

Copy and Paste from The Edmonton Journal Newspaper.

It's seems that adding a $5 in taxes per pack of Cigarettes, removing power wall sales methods, and now eliminating sales outlets is all in the "Best Interest" of the public.

I thought when Ontario did this back in the 90's, they only created a new line of work for organized crime.

I don't smoke, Never have (Cigars you don't smoke only puff on) But I really do not like the government dictating what people can and cannot do with what little disposable income they leave us after payroll deductions.

Wanna Hear something wild?

I was listening to the Charles Adler Radio show (commentary, current events show) about a study that was done by the Dutch.

http://www.cjob.com/StationShared/AdlerOnline.aspx

Who costs the health care system more money?

Drug Users
Smokers
Alcoholics
or
Clean living, regular exercising Types

Wanna know the answer?

It's The Clean Living types.

And here's why.......

The other types die off sooner. They get horribly sick, & die painfully

The people who live cleanly - linger on , watch their friends die, and cost the Medical system THOUSANDS of dollars in ongoing care, and medication.

I'm not sure which is more of a sentence in hell.

An agonizing death from cancer or emphysema
or
Watching everyone I know die and lingering around, with a failing body and poor memory.

Posted Fri 26 Dec 08 @ 5:01 pm
umm, ahhh - yeah

let me get back with you on that one!!!

Posted Fri 26 Dec 08 @ 7:42 pm
My father lived to 87 and PAID insurance premiums until his death, as my Mother still does, those passing off in cancer from cigarettes, never really pay much in as they don't live very long anyway, as you say, cancer is very expensive by the way.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 2:08 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
in the UK revenue from tobacco sales goes to support a massive percentage of the health service, far higher than medical care spent on cigarette users... so it does have its benefits, lol.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 6:02 am
Cancer got my Mother back in 99 as well.

The tax revenue - Like UK there Tayla goes to Health care here as well. Revenue that is down 12% since these new restrictions came in. This is expected to drop even further nest year when over a 1000 retail outlets are no longer allowed to sell cigarettes.

Actually the really fun thing in Canada - anti-smoking campaigns MUST be paid by the Tobacco industry.

I guess the real part about this that really gets me pissed is the fact that these lobby groups are so fanatical about non smoking - makes those that do feel like second class citizens. It's the same with some other "protest" groups that are very extreme.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 8:47 am
know what you mean Marcal, boils my p... as well, for me they are just coming up with more ways to keep themselves in a very highly overpaid job waiting for the next crusade to come along so they can jump on to, never thinking about the thousands of jobs that will be lost in connection with the industry or the revenue that will have to be replaced that has gone, not forgetting unemployment benefits that will have to be paid out... just look at the bar industry its one of the reasons that is going to the wall. enough of me ranting...

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 10:44 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Cancer got my Mother back in 99 as well.

The tax revenue - Like UK there Tayla goes to Health care here as well. Revenue that is down 12% since these new restrictions came in. This is expected to drop even further nest year when over a 1000 retail outlets are no longer allowed to sell cigarettes.

Actually the really fun thing in Canada - anti-smoking campaigns MUST be paid by the Tobacco industry.

I guess the real part about this that really gets me pissed is the fact that these lobby groups are so fanatical about non smoking - makes those that do feel like second class citizens. It's the same with some other "protest" groups that are very extreme.

Its the liberal left Marcel. They think most of us are stupid and need them to tell us how to live. Its like Al Gore and his "green" campaign, only he still uses a charter jet. A lot of these people, like the Hollywood types, think we all need to live a certain way. However, it does not actually count for them. Do as I say, not as I do...... try raising a kid with that mentality.....the kids would end up in therapy for sure.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 10:55 am
The last recent figures in the UK was that the tax on Tabbacco products was 6 times more than spent on our health service. So why isnt it.

So simply the anti smoking clan should shut up and put up or would they like a six fold tax increase. The pubs are going bust due to lack of customers since the ban in the UK etc etc etc. I enjoy the fact that when i do stop smoking every so often, that i dont smell like a ashtray after a gig, but having said that it is my choice to had work in smoke filled venues. The advantages of non smoking is obvious however not for the economy or the taxman. Pisses me off when someone is a advocate of non smoking but pollutes my breathing space with their Car fumes, ok another argument for another day, but i have a point.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 12:23 pm
agreed, bloody smoking and pubs have been associated with each other down the centuries, it's like removing a limb, if people don't like smoke in pubs etc, they could have fcuked off else where, thing is now if a smoker goes outside the whole bloody company goes with them, whats the sense in that...

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 12:28 pm
I would rather have legislated High output air exchangers rather than a smoking ban.

Only thing I didn't like working in bars was actually the smell of cigarette smoke - it smells awful - where cigar and pipe tobacco is cured and flavoured to smell rather pleasant.

Human Vises are always going to happen. Every time we legislate a vise/habit into the criminal code, we create a new business for organized crime. (gambling, alcohol, tobacco, recreational drugs)

I would rather TAX THE SHIT out of every known vise and remove it from being illegal. It's not going away - might as well remove the violent criminal element from it, and make some money for medical services at the same time.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 12:39 pm
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
I would rather have legislated High output air exchangers rather than a smoking ban.

Only thing I didn't like working in bars was actually the smell of cigarette smoke - it smells awful - where cigar and pipe tobacco is cured and flavoured to smell rather pleasant.

Human Vises are always going to happen. Every time we legislate a vise/habit into the criminal code, we create a new business for organized crime. (gambling, alcohol, tobacco, recreational drugs)

I would rather TAX THE SHIT out of every known vise and remove it from being illegal. It's not going away - might as well remove the violent criminal element from it, and make some money for medical services at the same time.

ditto

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 12:48 pm
are you from alberta marcel? if so, what city/club are you at?

Posted Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 9:16 am
All my mates are getting into using the Electric Cigarette!!! One smoked 60-a-day for over 30 years, started with the Electric Cigarette 6 weeks ago and has stopped smoking!!! He still uses the Electric Cigarette when he is out having a drink tho. My other mates havent stopped, but, have cut down dramatically and are saving a fortune.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 1:54 pm
wouldn't miind a link to that when you can... cheers

Posted Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 2:10 pm
FortMacDJ wrote :
are you from alberta marcel? if so, what city/club are you at?

I'm in Edmonton.

Used to be the Resident at the Purple Onion Nightclub (near Whyte Ave) was there for 5 years

Moved to Diamonds Gentleman's Club for 2 years to Video DJ and to watch women get naked.

Started my own Mobile Biz last year and Stopped working clubs now - Just doing Mobile Video Dances. It's catching on nicely with Corporate Clients. Weddings and so on I gotta work the Advertising more.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 7:59 pm
right on! i've been to diamonds a time or two and down to the clubs in whyte many-a-times! i currently work at Cowboys up in Fort Mac with DJ bigD of the Canada DJ's. i'll have to give u a shout next time i'm down in the city, as u can imagine us fort mac folks have to get out and come to the city quite frequently!

Posted Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 8:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)