Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: OK, I finally have to ask for help!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My PC is the exact same settup as my laptop give or take a program or two. My laptop I use for guest djing and mobile work. I would like to install my PC at my residence so I don't have to worry about drinks and hook / unhook time since I have to drive about 35-45 min. My pc is much better for video production.

Now, the proplem... I can use every video on my laptop but my PC will not play mp4 on vdj. I can go to the file and make it play on the quicktime player but it give me an "ERROR" on virtual dj.

I reloaded the latest codecs saturday before work but it still didn't work. I've put in about 3 man hours into getting this to work now I need some outside influence.

I went into config and changed the MP4 to quicktime audio and VDJ recognized the audio and play that but when I switched it back to video decoder I get an " ERROR ".

ANYONE!!!!

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 11:50 am

What does the error say?'
Pretty sure it would be a codec issue

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 11:53 am
On the display readout for the songs title info. It give the songs name with - error ... it doesn't even load into the decks.

Just to make sure of things I unstalled the codecs in my laptop and reinstalled it with the same codecs and the same time. I braught the computer home so I get this figured out today. But how can I just double click on the file and have it play but not in the program. It works on one system but not the other.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 12:01 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
- Error - as a message when loading a track means one of two things -

1. The file attempting to be loaded is no longer at the path location that is stored in the database (i.e. file was moved but database was not updated)

2. The selected decoder was not able to decode the file. You can verify that by right clicking on the file in the VirtualDJ browser and choosing the File Info and look in the bottom section of the dialog box. -- And usually it is the audio portion of a video that can't be decoded and not necessarily the video itself.

Now to explain why you might have issues ... do you know How? the video was encoded and with what codecs - Video and Audio? The VirtualDJ Video Decoder does not support directly every codec out there. And, just because you may have installed the codec to your O/S doesn't mean VirtualDJ will support it with the internal decoder. You may need to use the Windows Media Player Video decoder.

A great tool to have is the Gspot Codec Information tool -- can be downloaded from here - http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Post back what codec information is reported with Gspot.

On a personal note -

I have run across MP4 encoded videos that are really AVI files. There are codecs out there that use the MP4 compression but wrap the file in the AVI container - hence they are AVI and not MP4. This usually gets a response of only audio playing and no video until I rename the file to an AVI extension. And I have seen the reverse as well file with AVI extension but was really a true MP4.

Another piece of info is some of these MP4 compression tools that make IPOD compatible videos, sometimes don't work in VirtualDJ either.

Just some things to look at fatkatzdj.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 12:19 pm
Thanks, I'll get back later this afternoon. I have another issue that accured Saturday night that has never happend before. I have to see if it was a fluke or a long term thing. I'll inform the forum of this later as well.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 12:31 pm
Well, I got everything working as it should.

1st I deinstalled the quicktime and hooked my computer directly to the internet for download of the new quicktime. ( I know it had nothing to with anything but what the heck, it wasn't working in the first place, right). So no joy...

2nd I deinstalled CUE and reinstalled it again. What luck, joy, joy joy...

The only bad thing that came up is the default skins do not recognize the songs time, bpm or anything but plays perfectly ( strange ). All the other skins works perfectly with no defects. That's ok, I haven't used the default skins in over a year now.

Now that I can use this computer.. Tested and all... I can scratch and mix with Auto transition on and not have it lock up. ( before it would do some strange things like freeze or set a cue point exactly at the moment and stop ). I can do a multiple backspin without catching in the processor or hickups.

Watch out world, I'm a 100% again...

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 4:48 pm

Good to hear ;)

About the default skin, maybe its a font problem... A font not installed on your system..

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 5:15 pm
I don't think so. It showed everything before the reload. The songs text shows but not in the blue and red circles like the ( gain, bpm, times ).. And I did another reinstall just to make sure.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 5:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)