Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can't blame the DJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Last night i did a gig at a restaurant Karaoke and Music in between songs. Three things pissed me off. One was the small area i was set up in a fashion with out my usual lighting rig as space was limited and using a small table supplied, my speakers were set just over a metre apart behind me in a alcove so muffled. Nothing i could do about this setup so put up and shut up. After the tables were cleared Karaoke was eagerly started, loads of request. I need to point out that out of the three parties one was paying half the fee and the restaurant the other so priority where due with the Karaoke. All was going well then i noticed a commotion at the bar which i kept an eye on for a while, i called up the next singer who happened to be the girl who had paid half for the Karaoke, she went on the mike and apologised to her gang about the service charge which no one was told about for the food and called the Manager a wanker, fortunately this went over the Chinese managers head so i thought. Obviously this created an atmosphere of discomfort but being the true pro i just carried on " she did'nt say that the service charge had been refunded, however what should had been a 230 finish ended at 1230 am. What pisses me off about this is the lack of communication between restaurant and customer and the DJ gets caught up. I have had worse happen but just needed to vent.

Hope you guys have a great xmas and no doubt have some similar scenarios .

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 7:58 am
I had a Corporate Christmas Party last night, and it was similar situation with the set-up.

I got stuffed in a corner in a small area of about 8 foot square in between the door prizes (They gave away a 42 Toshiba LCD pretty cool).
The organizer for the Christmas party was not of the Christian religion and despised any Christmas carols that made reference to Christ. Not a problem, I have non-specific politically correct generic non offencive holiday selections; but I actually got complaints from the rest of the party about it.

BTW this was a Fitness Club Staff party; for every location in the city - so lots of high-intensity people. Just under 300 staff, most under 28

The actual dance went well; and it reminded me of my club DJ days.

Play DANCE MUSIC (top 40)
play CLUB MUSIC!!!!
play HIP HOP (now mutha f*cka!!!!)

All in all a enjoyable night - once I got squeezed into my small space in the corner, and over my surprise that the organizer flexed her opinions for the rest of her staff for Christmas music.

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 11:01 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
I have non-specific politically correct generic non offencive holiday selections;

LMAO!! Just that sentence is killing me Marcel.....

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 11:54 am
yet another reason i don't do mobile - i just don't have the patience or customer relations skills to put up with stupid.

at the end of the night (after getting a check of course) i would have looked them right in their eye and said "And you have a very Merry Christmas!"

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 2:43 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
it's funny how some people want their own faith recognised but won't recognise others, it's a funny old world that we live in, anyway just enjoy the holidays... if you get any, lol.

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 2:47 pm
tayla wrote :
it's funny how some people want their own faith recognised but won't recognise others, it's a funny old world that we live in, anyway just enjoy the holidays... if you get any, lol.

I'm not sure what religion she followed - if any; I didn't ask nor particularly care. She just made it quite clear in no uncertain terms NO Christ in the Christmas carols.

@ Tearemup.

That's sort of a rip off of that sentence (bad grammar and all). On a Bard Paisley CD my GF has there's a joke track at the end making fun of this very situation. He kinda says something like that in the song.

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 2:55 pm
Hey guys the techies have finally invented a camera which is so fast it can take a photo of a female with her mouth shut, WOW . Sorry to our lady DJS but im sure you can tell us some good gags, a dum joke from one of my punters last night, which was a fantastic gig. A few more gigs like that will make my Christmas. Got one Wednesday for the Royal Navy, a freebie Christmas party, i always like to give something back. Speaking to some of you guys in the armed forces UK AND US over the past year of which I know use VDJ, just like to say THANK YOU, have a Great Xmas and look forward to your visit to the Ship Anson Portsmouth UK in the NewYear.

All the breast

Chris

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 6:49 am
i prefer the cramped space while dj"in on the pc its so much beasier and you have your privacy while in partys or do's

but when i play happy hardcorte i prefer as much room as pos to jump around the stage lol :0

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 12:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)