Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: PC Screen Resolution Problems... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I am a club DJ, but on my nights off I stay on top of my game and come up with new transitions on VDJ on my PC. (Windows XP Home) I am NOT a whiz at the computer, but I'm no dummy.

I try opening my VDJ program and after it asks which skin I would like to use, this alert comes up... "Warning! The skin you are trying to use has a higher resolution than your screen."

Each skin gives me the same alert.

I check the display settings and my screen resolution is set at 800x600. The color quality is 32 bit (highest).

Do i need to go into "256 color mode"? Change my DPI?

My monitor is a brand new 19" Samsung SyncMaster 920NW LCD wide screen. $200 monitor. You can imagine how upset I am with this problem.

Also, are there any other unneeded processes that I can end in the Task Manager to help the performance of my PC? Right now I have 38....while idle. Weird, huh? (many named "svchost.exe") And I have just over a gig of RAM. Should I get more?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!!

-demize..

Posted Wed 10 Dec 08 @ 11:42 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djdemize1 wrote :
"Warning! The skin you are trying to use has a higher resolution than your screen."

djdemize1 wrote :
I check the display settings and my screen resolution is set at 800x600.

You just showed yourself where the problem lies.

Most skin's for VDJ are at least 1024x768, or other 4:3 / widescreen resolutions.
800x600 is an old standard for low resolution monitors, use the resolution that
is native (recommended) for your monitor. It says here that your monitor is
widescreen 19", and specifies the 1440x900 as native resolution.

You might want to learn more about modern display resolution standards on
wikipedia, if interested :)

Posted Wed 10 Dec 08 @ 12:17 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As above, 800x600 simply isn't high enough a resolution...

Posted Wed 10 Dec 08 @ 3:37 pm
K, i got the display problem pretty much resolved.

How about when i drag a song onto side A or B, it takes a few minutes to load up a song. VDJ is the only program running and it still takes a while. The music files are mp3 and they are all good with quality bit rates. Is there a problem with my RAM? Maybe I don't have enough?

Posted Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 12:00 am
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Enumerate your system specs so everybody will have an idea.
Ow btw, don't forget to register your VDJ.

Posted Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 6:24 am
Whoa, i went through my system information and found that I only have 376 MB of RAM. WOW, I was very mistaken earlier. I'm thinking this may be my problem, correct? I'll need AT LEAST a gig.

Here's some more info to help diagnose this problem:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Intel Celeron CPU 1100 mHz
1.10 GHz, 376 MB RAM

Any idea how much this should cost me?

By the way, I REALLY appreciate all of the help and advice. You guys are awesome!

Posted Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 8:47 am
Low memory and Celeron processor - Not a good look... ;-)

You can increase your RAM but your running with an under powered processor - especially for real-time audio...

Time to upgrade my friend!!!

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 9:25 am
Gotcha. And remember, this is just for home use only. But I will consider the upgrade.

Do you have any recommendations for a new processer?

Thanks again everyone.

Posted Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 9:54 am
kotdbPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I have a screen resolution problem too.

I have a Dell XPS m1730 with a 17" screen.

When I open up Virtual DJ I get the same warning bubble as mentioned above saying I should have my resolution set to 1920 x 1200 pixels and the Virtual DJ and desktop reolution goes really huge and distrorted.

The problem is I do have my display set at that resolution.

Any ideas as to why Virtual DJ doesn't want to play ball with my laptop screen?

Posted Sun 15 Feb 09 @ 9:07 am
I run an XPS M1730 as well :)

I would advise against running any skin maximized, run it as a window instead. If you set your screen resolution to the same as the skin size it will fill the screen. If running maximized you will get issues minimizing the window. If you have to run maximized (for some crazy reason lol) then set your display size to the same as the skin and you shouldn't get the warning.

I use a custom 1920x1200 skin in window mode and it works fantastically.

Posted Sun 15 Feb 09 @ 1:25 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I run an XPS M1730 as well :)

I would advise against running any skin maximized, run it as a window instead. If you set your screen resolution to the same as the skin size it will fill the screen. If running maximized you will get issues minimizing the window. If you have to run maximized (for some crazy reason lol) then set your display size to the same as the skin and you shouldn't get the warning.

I use a custom 1920x1200 skin in window mode and it works fantastically.

Good stuff SBDJ. You may be asked a few questions from me while I get it all set up then ;-)

Hmmm when I open up Virtual DJ it immediately distorts the desktop resolution and the warning bubble comes up. When clicked it goes to the maximised screen which is a bit blurred. After that I can change it to window mode as you suggest but its a bit small on the screen and I can't make it any bigger.

This may be a general problem with my screen settings as some websites are a bit small. This one for example doesn't fit very well on the screen. Quite small writing in the middle of the page and large areas of black at either side.

I can use view>zoom + on my firefox settings but this doesn't apply for Virtual DJ. Is there a way I can permanantly change this in my control panel?

I am also having the problems with a latency spike that you have been having on that other thread but I'll write on that thread about it.

Posted Mon 16 Feb 09 @ 4:18 am
Not sure why you get the resolution warning box, but anyway.

The problem is the panel is happy running at 1920x1200 - whilst it will run at lower resolutions it won't look quite as crisp. Most VDJ skins aren't that high a resolution - thats why it has to resize, and why it looks small in window mode.

Best bet is to use a 1920x1200 skin in window mode.

Posted Mon 16 Feb 09 @ 4:31 am
Ok the internal mixer interface skin tries to maximise the screen straight away and everything gets messed up.

The new HE5 interface opens up to the window setting and doesn't distort. However the window is small in relation to the big screen.

Any idea how to change this?

Posted Mon 16 Feb 09 @ 4:42 am
Anyone know how I can change this window size without maximising the window?

Posted Wed 18 Feb 09 @ 4:59 am
Download the screen resizer program under the plugin section. Select the xml file of the skin you want to use and set the new screen size to 1900x1050. Always set the horizontal size lower than actual screen size. This will allow you to get full screen image in a windowed mode. As previsously stated, it is best to run VDJ in a window. Hope this helps.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 11:43 am
Or get a skin that matches your screen resolution. Resizing a skin from 1024x768 to 1920x1200 will not be pretty!

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 4:44 pm
I'm plannoing to buy a laptop only for mixing purposes it will have intel celeron processor 900 2.2ghz with 2 gigs of memory. do you believe that it will afford to perform djing and mixing?

Posted Sat 12 Dec 09 @ 12:11 am
wen i try 2 login 2 my virtual dj it says my screen resolution is low for the skin
wat do i do

Posted Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 11:12 pm
You have two options:

1. Increase your screen resolution

or

2. Change your skin

Posted Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 11:24 pm
hi i have a full hd 1080p and been having problem with my visrtual dj skin...not in any resolution appears well, just half of interface.....can anyone help me??

Posted Sat 27 Mar 10 @ 3:02 pm
74%